Home Forum Ask A Member ELTO Ruddertwin shock absorber designs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

I have 2 different J model Ruddertwins.

Each has a different method for driving the prop. The one I’m currently restoring has a coiled spring, with dual tabs. One tab locks in the prop, the opposite tab into gearcase, to drive the prop, and act as a shock absorber I imagine. My spring was broken, so looking for a replacement in the classifieds.

I have another motor. Thought I would steal the spring and replace it later on. However, the second motor has a completely different setup. It has a clutch dog type engagement with lugs. The prop is held on with a nut, which puts pressure on a spring, which then puts pressure on the prop. I suppose another way of making a shock absorber. If the prop hits a submerged object, the spring could compress, allowing the dogs to disengage, and the prop to free spin until past the obstruction, when it would re engage.

Both interesting ideas. Was one a superseded idea over another>? If so, which one is the later version? I’m assuming the clutch dog style is the more current design, but thought I would ask to verify. If it is, I may try to install that variation on my current restoration if its an improvement.

wbeaton
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Interesting. The whole thing is different than my Model C. I can’t tell what is supposed to be there. It looks like it should be a spring. Here is what the manual shows.

Wayne
        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

chris-p
        Participant

Part 948 is what mine looks like, the one im restoring now. Illl post some pictures of the clutch dog style one my second motor has. Anyone else seen that set up before?

chris-p
          Participant

Here is what Im dealing with.

Attachments:

wbeaton
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I wonder if the second prop is a replacement taken from another motor. Is that rubber piece supposed to slip or is it a hub that’s failed?

Wayne
              Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

RICHARD A. WHITE
              Participant

Lifetime Member

My model C does not have that, whew, one less part to replace…lol

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                classicomctools@gmail.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.