Home Forum Ask A Member Elto serial number

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    cookie1
    Participant

Hi

Can anyone identify this for me , the plate says Super Elto serial number 63933 . I have no further information as this was from a photo

Thanks

pm-t2
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

1928 service Speedster. 7 HP motor also referred to as model number 355. Hope it helps eh.

Best,
        PM T2

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

That is a very interesting problem given only that information. The last “K” model Lightwin (AKA Ruddertwin) built in 1929 was serial number 59,999 – so If it has a large rudder it would be ‘a 1930 model. – HOWEVER after combining with Evinrude, the “Super Eltos” got a cthcee digit model number. Do to changes while moving three companies into one factory, much information was misplaced or lost. This was further complicated by radical changes brought on by the second World War. many people went into the armed surfaces (and too many never came back). meanwhile some of the factory was building Storm Boat Moters while the rest built aluminum parts for bomb sites, (B-17 & B-24) Radar devices (P-61 Blackwiddow night fighter and some Spitfire parts for the United Kingdom. These new jobs required a LOT of paperwork Some outboard records were tossed to make room for these new files. It has been said an army travels on it’s stomach. I believe the supplies travel on the paperwork. The testing and certification needed for an item ofter exceeds the cost of production many times. After the war it became the new hires task to pick up the pieces. Our first Historian, Jim Webb, spent the last year of his 36 with Elte/Evinrude/OMC in trying to fill in the gaps in the records. Some was just not their to be found. SO – the next number I pick up is Super Elto Service Speedster model 301 starting with Serial number 80,000 –

Jim also wrote “The Pectoral History of Outboard Motors” – An excelant reference – no longer in print . . .

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Sorry I missed that one – Didn’t go far enough . . .

cookie1
            Participant

Thanks for info , I will try to attach best pic I have

lyks2tinkr
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Looks like an early 1928 Speedster with the cast tank IMHO rough condition.
                The good part is the timer and coil are there. From the condition of the flywheel it looks like it’s probably stuck hard.

The Boat House
                Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GRrmslnz2A

cookie1
                  Participant

Thanks for all your comments . Would anyone like to suggest a price ? I also have been offered a Storm boat motor in similar condition , what sort of value are these ?

Cheers

The Boat House
                    Participant

Hard to say. Looks really rough.
                      If it’s not seized up and the gears
                      are good in the lower unit it,
                      without any other obvious damage,
                      it would be worth a chance at
                      $100.00 to me.

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

A real model 8008 Storm Boat Motor would be rare as most have been converted to civilian use as an Evinrude Big Four model 8014. The Storm Bout Motor was designed for the Storm Boat and used a special bracket that allowed them to be levered into the boat. This would have to be replaced to use on a standard 20″ transom boat. The 1949 model 8015 was built for a 15″ transom. . .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.