Home Forum Ask A Member ERude ’83 E5RHCTA 4.5 hp carb tune-up:success

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Donald Heil
    Participant

US Member

Greetings All;
      Just needed to post back that my carb rebuild was a success. Nothing out of the ordinary, just the usual from 30 yrs. of use and setting for 2 yrs. I read somewhere else, wish I could recall, to set the low speed to only 1/2 turn out. New plugs, Champion QL86YC @ .030. Fresh gas with Pennzoil Synthetic @ 50:1, new bottom end gear oil. The only issue was I had to trim some off the float pin so the float assembly would fit in the chamber. Seafoamed the cylinders for 2 days. 1 pull choked and she started. Let it warm up and ran it through the Slow to Fast on the tiller. No hesitation or jumping. Idles like a champ at Slow for trolling and Fast is faster now. I let the slow speed at 1/2 till we get out on the water and set the Lean/Rich knob at 12 o’clock. So, thanks to all who helped me out with this initially and I hope I have helped someone also now or will later. Off to the lake for walleye. A safe boating holiday to all.

Donald 😀

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m glad you found success! It may be that this engine has an initial setting of only 1/2 turn out, the carburetor is kind of unique, will try to look up the exact spec when I get home.
        Could only find the initial needle setting for a 1989 4deluxe: 1 turn out from gently seated
        So, your setting seems within range.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.