Home Forum Ask A Member Eska 3.5 hp 1969-70? lower unit removal

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John Vaivoda
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Can someone tell me if the power head must be removed to remove the lower unit on this motor? It just will not come out. I think the spline must be frozen into the female spline on the crankshaft. But looking at the parts diagram, I see a key way, and also a collar with a set screw in it that appears to join the crank shaft and the drive shaft. I have a great running 90 psi motor that Needs an impeller, and I can’t change it because I cannot get the lower unit to come free.  I can’t even get it down low enough to get the nut off the stud on the exhaust column.  thank you in advance to anyone who can answer this question for me. thank you much!!

retiredoz
      Participant

Did you remove the other bolt inside the exhaust outlet ? If this motor’s been run in salt, the stud may be welded in place.  You might try some heat there.

John Vaivoda
        Participant

Thank you for your response! Yes, I removed both the fillister head screw, and the nut off the stud. I don’t know its history, as I got it at my local dump that someone threw away. I also had sprayed some wd40 and pb blaster down the shaft, and let it sit upside down for a couple of days. I think the splines are just rusted together. thanks again, john

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.