Eska 7hp

Home Forum Ask A Member Eska 7hp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• simonb

Replies: 2
    Topics: 1

Hi all

I recently got given an Eska 7hp motor and I’m hoping someone can tell me a bit about them. I can’t see any obvious serial numbers on it but then again haven’t had a good route around. It has solid state on the front of the cowl.
    Engine is not seized and seems to have plenty of compression.
    Worth keeping or just an ornament!?
    Many thanks in advance
    Simon

retiredoz

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 565
    Topics: 27

I’d say if it has spark, go ahead and clean out the fuel system if necessary, and run it until it stops sparking. The ignition parts are expensive, in most people’s opinion not worth replacing. If I were going to run it in a river, I’d be motoring upstream. Those were not renowned for reliability.

Plus side : Decent power-to-weight ratio (even if the 7-hp rating is optimistic), fairly simple to service.

Indian Group Leader

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 83
    Topics: 6

Simon,

Eska outboards have not been considered that much of a collectable. They are basically a Clinton Engines style lower unit with a Tecumseh powerhead. The serial number plate is usually pinned to the top of the transom clamp assembly. There are a couple things that you should know about this motor. First, it has a water pump with a rubber impeller in the lower unit even though it is basically an air-cooled motor. Water is pumped to the bottom of the powerhead to help reduce heat and condense gases. If the water pump is not cooling properly, you will seize up the powerhead. Second, if the motor has a separate gas tank with hose, be carefull when pumping the primer bulb. The carburetor has a orange fuel pump bladder in the back of the carburetor that will split if you pump the bulb too hard. Once the bladder splits, the motor will not continue running. You can pump it up, it will start, and then it will die. If it has the gravity fed gas tank on top of the motor, you still must have a good fuel pump bladder in the carburetor so it will operate properly.

In 1993, I was laid off from a banking job, and I helped a friend in the Houston area work on these aggravating little motors for a year or so. When they run, they usually run good, but when they quit, they tend to be a pain in the neck to repair. If you will send me a photo of your motor to texasoutboard@comcast.net, I will see if I can help you identify it. I may even have a parts catalog or service manual for it. I may still have the address to the company that supplies parts for the Eska outboards if you want it. Let me know.

Tom Oncken
    Texas Chapter – Antique Outboard Motor Club, Inc.
    AOMCI Special Interest Group Leader for the Indian Outboard

simonb

Replies: 2
    Topics: 1

Thanks Gents, some useful information.

Tom, I will send some photos over when I get 5 mins. This engine has the gravity fed internal tank so I guess that’s one less thing to worry about.
    Many thanks again.
    Simon

Indian Group Leader

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 83
    Topics: 6

I am a night owl and stay up very late. So, if you need copies of manuals, I will probably scan and email the information very early in the morning . . . . 2AM to 4AM. I look forward to hearing from you.

Tom

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.