Home Forum Ask A Member Etec 25 hp question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    wedgie
    Participant

Way too new for me. Etec e25dtelisc

Guys at work complaining their 25 hp Etec on their work boat will run at idle but will bog out and quite when they give it the gas. Left them stranded when they couldn’t get it re started and had to call for a tow. I didn’t have a chance to get any more details, but told them I would ask you guys about possible causes. I don’t think a suggestion of cleaning the carb will cut it this time 😆

Thanks, 🙂

willg
      Participant

US Member

Tough to say what is wrong without looking at it in person, I would recommend bringing it to an Evinrude dealer to have them hook up Evinrude Diagnostics to it to see if there are any codes and check injector operation and fuel pressure. Before bringing it to them, check the basics such as fuel hose and primer ball condition and check to see if there is any water in the fuel.

wedgie
        Participant

Thanks Will,

Buddy said he thought it was not getting enough air, so he removed something and, I’m just guessing, it was the air silencer. He said it ran better for a while, then started acting up again. These guys are all pretty handy and knowledgeable with hydraulics and heavy machinery, but they came to me with this question and I was kinda hoping to at least narrow it down for them before they send it in.

So I take it the injector would be your first suspect Will ?

willg
          Participant

US Member

Tough to say. I haven’t worked on an etec with a hesitation problem yet, but it definitely sounds fuel related. As the injectors are part of the emissions control system, replacement must be done by a dealer and the injector coefficients that are loaded into the EMM (engine management module) must be updated or the powerhead could fail (blow up) due to a lean mixture.

wedgie
            Participant

Ok, I will tell them that .

I should just trade them for my ’68 ski twin, Updated with the Atom modules, and throw in a water pump change and tune up when needed 😆 .

beerman57
              Participant

Wedgie, a 33hp? I want it, but Canada is too far away!

Mumbles
                Participant

Hey Wedgie, would you get a promotion if you saved the company a bunch of $$$ by installing a regular carb on it to solve the problem? 💡

enrico-italy
                  Participant
                    quote WillG:

As the injectors are part of the emissions control system, replacement must be done by a dealer and the injector coefficients that are loaded into the EMM (engine management module) must be updated or the powerhead could fail (blow up) due to a lean mixture.

I continue to think the world will be better if we put all the people that charged us with "green engines" on a soap (biodegradable) boat in a sea full of shark… 😈 😈

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Will: Do these engine have any warning lights/horns that signal EMM trouble codes? Just thinking along the lines of water in the fuel, fuel restriction or air leaks.

willg
                      Participant

US Member

Don, on the 25/30 etec, the emm is so small that it only has the low oil and overheat warning functions for systemcheck.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.