Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 33HP Shift lever bushing and seal

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    rvdriver
    Participant

I’m going to test it on a donor lower unit before I work on our good lower unit.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Your third picture shows the bushing. Run a 5/16″ -18 thread tap into that end of the bushing about 3 turns or so. Now run a 5/16″ bolt into the threads you just made. Now, run a rod or punch or whatever you have in from the opposite end of the bushing, till it contacts the bolt you just screwed in. Give it a few taps with a hammer and it will knock the bolt and bushing out. Easy, and it works. If you didn’t run the threads in too far, you can re-use the bushing.

If you have trouble reaching the bushing with the tap, use an upside-down 1/4″ drive socket extension as a tap extension.

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

I’ve used Frank’s method with the 5/16-18 thread tap – works for me!
          Dave

frankr
          Participant

US Member

It almost looks like the bushing is in from the wrong end of the housing???

No, it is correct. Some motors have the bushing goes in from the bottom, some go in from the top. They have different bushings also. That’s just the way it is.

rvdriver
            Participant

Thanks Frank. We used a donor to test removal.

We got the new washer and seal back in yesterday.

Thanks!!

RICHARD A. WHITE
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Requires a special tool, take off skeg turn it upside down and hit the tool with hammer, install with another one,Richard White might be making them?🤔

I made a batch up for a member and delivered to Tomahawk. We tried one there and it worked well. He seemed to feel previous issues were with the operators not knowing how the tool should be used, i.e., you do not need to use a 20 lb sledge to remove the bushing. I am awaiting his declaration of either good or bad to tell me if I should begin to make more. That being said I recall him also saying that you can order them directly from BRP… for a reasonable price he stated.

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                classicomctools@gmail.com

frankr
                Participant

US Member

There is a fundamental problem with the tool. Problem is the hole through the gearcase is not the same diameter on all cases. A 5/16 will go through some, but others it won’t. I discovered that when a customer busted a gearcase by pounding it through anyway. The factory tool is necked down for that reason. I then made mine as large as I could and still go through the smallest hole I found. Mine still ended up larger than the factory tool. Bottom line is make the tool small enough to go through the hole and it broaches through the bushing. That’s why I quit making them. Good luck.

EDIT; The OMC tool I bought was 0.277″ diameter.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by frankr.
                  outboardnut
                  Participant

US Member

For what its worth – I bought the tool from Frank years age and worked fine.
                    I used it only on 1955- 1959 Big twins

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.