Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 40454S 1974 40hp mag plate and boss wear

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    vintin
    Participant
      quote Dan in TN:

Somebody in the club has to have Seavice Bulletin set from that time? The information is in the form of a SB. Should be around 1976/77. OMC was having enough trouble by then to offer the kit. I believe it was called a Stator Stabilization kit. It changed the way the mag plate bolted to the top of the block. No longer uses the top collar at all, just like the #580871 kit, but mounting holes for low tension stuff & charging stator.

Dan in TN

Thanks Dan,
      I found these service bulletin numbers but not the bulletins themselves.

1425 Armature plate bearing improvements and lubrication on 1974 thru 1976 – 9.9, 15, 35 & 40 6/76

1445 Armature plate improvement kit on 1973-1976 – 20 & 25 8/77
      1488 Armature plate and pilot replacement kit on 1974 thru 1976 – 9.9, 15 & 35 1/79

vintin
      Participant
        quote FrankR:

quote VinTin:

Frank the bearing shell looks to also be of brass.

Really?? Are you sure it isn’t brass wiped off onto it? See if a magnet will attract to it. I think it is the bearing, but could be wrong.

Frank is right!

Brass has been wiped off onto it. The magnet attracts to it. It does look to be a part of the bearing.

There is a small brass sleeve pressed into the aluminum ignition plate. I assume this is the way it was manufactured. This brass sleeve rotates on the steel boss on the top of the block which looks to be a part of the upper bearing. It is likely only this pressed in sleeve that needs to be replaced. There were a lot of brass fines on top and around the lower steel boss.

I was tired of this motor’s recent poor running and decided to pull the flywheel and look around. As I was getting the strap wrench on the flywheel I moved the flywheel slightly and saw the mag plate move. I knew right then that the problem was under that flywheel. I believe it was rubbing and jerking the mag plate resulting in very erratic timing advance and erratic performance.

vintin
        Participant
          quote FrankR:

Doesn’t that brass sleeve rotate around the hardened steel bearing shell? If that is correct (?), the steel should not be worn and a new armature plate should restore it.

EDIT: Bare armature plate was part # 581217, NLA

Frank do you know anything about the number of 581217 supersedes up to 582067?

Will either part number will suffice?

Also about this ignition plate:

Dan brought to my attention that there is a new driver coil part number…..#581130 Echlin brand Vs
          OEM 0763784. Ask the guys & see if they know why there are two numbers?

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.