Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 4425 resto questions.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    twostroke
    Participant

Now that I know that it runs and pumps water, I want to try to make it look pretty…..which is probably gonna’ involve lots of paint stripper and glass beading. It’s kind of hard to tell, because someone went nuts on this with white paint, but I’m assuming that all but the carb, flywheel and mag plate were painted the silver/grey, and Evinrude painted them assembled versus in pieces. Is that correct? Also, the ‘band’ around the tank & rear grab handle that was originally bare, was that polished?

I’ve found a few pics, but none that are large enough to look for a lot of detail.

Thanks!

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

The raised tank letters and the strip around the tank base were polished with jewels rouge. The mercury in the polish was thought to protect against corrosion. The EPA says mercury is a neurotoxin. Others recommend Mother’s polish. I don’t believe the EPA is against Mothers . . . 😆

The last year they painted it with an ugly "Pre faded" blue. . . 😮

twostroke
        Participant

Mercury? No fear. This is gonna’ stretch the limits of politically correct……but I’m old enough to remember being allowed to HANDLE mercury as part of ‘show-and-tell’ in grade school… My wife wonders why I’m weird…. I was exposed to mercury, Dear…. It’s not my fault….. Other than that, I’d be normal. Yeah, suuure…..

pm-t2
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I was going to post some pictures of original model 4425 Sportsman motors for your reference, but guess what – I don’t have that permission anymore!!

even though I’m a paid-up member of the AOMCI, and registered for this section of the site, I’m not allowed to upload photos or images, only allowed to link to an external photo hosting website, which I’m not going to do just because a) its a lot more work for me to do it that way, and b) I think its really stupid to have to do so.

PM T2

kees
            Participant

International Member - 2 Years

your name "PM T2" has not the color red anymore
              meaning ?

twostroke
              Participant

Please fix his issues, please…. He’s forgotten more than most of us will ever know. We (I!) need his input!

Jim

pm-t2
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Kees, I guess it means I’ve been black-balled for reasons only the admins understand…. beyond that, I have nothing to say, except to lets not comment any further on it in this string, and get back to the Sportsman.

PM T2

The Boat House
                  Participant
                    quote twostroke:

Mercury? No fear. This is gonna’ stretch the limits of politically correct……but I’m old enough to remember being allowed to HANDLE mercury as part of ‘show-and-tell’ in grade school…

It was Science class for me. They had us pass some
                    around the room so we all could handle it. Then
                    we went to shop class to paint our project with
                    some led paint.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.