Home Forum Ask A Member EVINRUDE ELTO LIGHT FOUR

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    KeithG
    Participant

Hello-
      I recently “re-discovered” an old outboard motor in my father’s barn. I remember the motor as a kid…it set on a specially made wooden frame IN OUR HOUSE. I think I remember my Dad saying that it had never been run. He passed away a few years ago. The motor has been sitting in his old barn presumably for many years. I remember the motor as looking perfect – no scratches, decals all in place. That is not the case now. The decals have all deteriorated and the metal has marks and stains. The motor is labeled as an Evinrude Elto Light Four – I can not find a model number. I do find what I presume to be part numbers on all the major parts. Can anyone help me identify the old motor?
      Thanks.

lyks2tinkr
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A picture would be great if you can.
        The ID tag should be on the front of the transom clamp mount.
        Another way to generalize date would be tank shape and decal color.
        A rectangular tank would put it 1938 or earlier.
        A teardrop shape tank would be 1939 and later.
        On the teardrop tank, a gold decal was pre WWII. A blue decal would be post WWII

KeithG
        Participant

Thank you for responding.

I will take a picture tomorrow and forward. In the meantime, after searching online I located the little brass plug with the Model No. and Serial No. – Model 4398; Serial 00224. Any information you might have on this model would be appreciated?

bobw
          Participant

US Member

That model number would be a 1945 motor.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Pictures would help. there were more varieties of Lightfour made than any other model. It came in three different transom nights, with or without the auto rewind (Simplex) starter. Standard or 360 degree steering, standard or heavy duty lower unit (gear case). First introduced in 1934 as the Evinrude Lightfour Imperial, it was the first outboard styled with a enclosed carburetor and spark plugs. Later models were built with the fuel tank completely surrounding the flywheel. It was discontinued in 1951. If the riveted on serial number plate is missing, that number is also on a bras welch plug set in the port cylinder casting.
              1934 Lightfour Imperial

1935 Lightfour Imperial on left

1939 Lightfour

1940 Lightfour

1947 Lightfour

1948 heavy duty Lightfour for 30″ transom

1949 Lightfour

Lightfour are one of my favorite models – I guess I got carried away. At one time I had seven – now only one . . . A 1941 model

KeithG
              Participant

Thank you all for responding. Dad’s motor looks more like the last picture except the shaft appears longer, the prop is 3 bladed and the small knob on the end of the tiller handle is black (BTW – I like the walker converted to an outboard stand). I will take some pictures and upload today. I found some information online that states this motor is a Lightfour HD, Long Shaft, Air Borne Reverse. What does that mean? I don’t think this motor even has a reverse. I saw that some of these motors have the circular handle that was probably used to spin the motor for reverse direction. This motor does not have that. I remember Dad saying that this motor was never started, that it was basically a new motor. After sitting in the barn all these years, it does not look new. But, the inside of the gas tank and the spark tip of the spark plugs do look brand new. I don’t think I am interested in starting the motor if it has never been started. But, I do think I would like to get restored. Any ideas?

KeithG
                Participant

I’ve got three pictures but can not download to the blog. Every time I download one, I get a message that the file is too big and that it has to be removed.

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Mine is a 1941 – yours is a 1942 with the heavy duty gear case for a 20 inch transom. If you can Email them to me, I will resize them for you . . . chaps boy at charter dot net –

KeithG
                    Participant

Thank you. I will send them. I found some information in spread sheet form on Max Rules website that indicates this motor is a 1945 Lightfour HD, Long Shaft, Air Borne Reverse.

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

One way to make the pictures have a smaller “foot print” is to simplify the background –

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.