Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Exorcist needed…

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    twostroke
    Participant

Gasket looks right (according to crossing OEM numbers to Sierra and looking at pics in my Sierra catalog), and I’m 99.9% sure it’s not a ‘bitsa-this, bitsa-that’ deal…my buddy purchased it from the original owner’s son. I’m just missing something extremely stupid. Much as I hate to, I may have to just bite the bullet and pull one of my properly operating CD/5 1/2 motors apart and start comparing pieces. The bottom leg of my ’58 CD-15 should be the same other than color.

Thanks!

(Baffled) Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so I am assuming this engine is new to you, correct? Did you run the engine before doing the water pump? If so, did it pump better than it does now? Does the engine look to have been used in salt water? Is the cylinder head/block discolored from prolonged overheating? A blown head gasket or inner exhaust plate will introduce exhaust into the cooling system which could possibly interrupt cooling water flow.
        I wouldn’t go through all the trouble of ripping apart one of your other engines. I would pull the copper water tube out of the exhaust hsg just in case there was a restrictor installed. Then, I would install the water tube into the pump and put the drill on it….Not a very accurate test for sure, but might tell you something. Check the air bleed in the impeller hsg, perhaps the impeller hsg/plate are just worn. Are you using an OEM impeller?
        There are a few different powerhead base gaskets for this series of engines, using the wrong one will create a leak under the powerhead….
        Once the gearcase is off, if everything seems OK, you could reinstall the powerhead and water tube, then try running water through it…A leaky head gasket or inner exhaust cover should show up doing this as well….

twostroke
        Participant

Yeah…100% new to me. Good buddy dumped this on my shop floor. We never ran it before pulling it down and checking water pump. It’s a freshwater motor for sure. Paint on power head is nice, and nice as any of the unrestored critters in my collection. I’ve had the copper tube out, no restrictor, ran a chunk of .155 trimmer line off my R/C string trimmer (‘nother story…) through the tube and passages in the casting. Base gasket is correct, just looked at it again. I think I’m gonna’ try assembling it (yet another time…) this weekend and trying again after doing the drill thing.

Doug Wilson
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Might make an adapter to hook a hose to the tube that goes up from the water pump and see if water will flow through the power head should tell if there is an something blocking the passages

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
            turned off?

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, fresh water motor, you never ran it before doing the water pump job. Copper tube does not appear to be plugged/restricted. The engine shows no signs of previous overheating…Have you let the engine run long enough to see if it is going to overheat?
              Post some pictures of the stuff/base gasket/disassembled pump and post them for us to look at, perhaps as a group we might see something…

twostroke
              Participant

The Evinrude is exorcised! This thing had had me just about talking to myself….if I hadda’ nickel for every time I’ve had the powerhead off and foot off the lower unit I could probably buy my buddy a NEW motor…. Some genius in the past saw fit to epoxy a soft plug hole in the bottom of the cylinder head…..and effectively sealed the ‘out’ hole for the coolant. Note (crummy) picture.

Thanks to all who chimed in…."Back to Your Regularly Scheduled Programming"

Jim

Attachments:

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool! So, the core plug fell out and the somebody filled it with epoxy which blocked the outlet, makes perfect sense. This head shows obvious signs of overheating, did it look like this when you got it?
                  Please tell us how you pinpointed this issue! I can see me thinking someone had just put epoxy over the core plug to keep it in place and go right on looking for the problem elsewhere!
                  Great job, glad you conquered this…

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The hole that is epoxied should have a Welch plug in it (as I believe you know from what I read in your post). Was the epoxy so far into that passage as to block water flow thru the head at the lower cylinder where it exits into the exhaust housing? Is that part what you mean by the "out" hole? It appears the bottom cylinder overheated due to no water flow. Did the heat do any further damage to the lower cylinder? Don also replied while I was typing so please excuse any duplicate questions, etc.
                    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

billw
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The hardest things to troubleshoot are things that another human mind has screwed up. Another classic example! Good job!

Long live American manufacturing!

twostroke
                      Participant

Pic is deceiving…it’s taken in the bright sunlight outside my shop….and the top half is shaded, hence the color differences. Motor hasn’t been hot enough to injure it….compression is good and cylinders look nice. I finally figured it out with compressed air, after figuring out for sure that it was pumping water. Blowing in the intake hole below the exhaust cover, I could pressurize the water jacket to the point I had air leaking out the screws on the exhaust cover, but nothing coming out the hole in the bottom of the cylinder head. At that point, I pulled the head and went after that w/compressed air and it became rather clear that they’d actually filled the passage, not just sealed a leaking welsh plug.

I’m good enough at making myself look stupid….I don’t need someone else’s help…

Back when I had hair…I spent two days trying to get a fresh motor running in a late ’60’s Correct Craft inboard that someone else rebuilt (a high-dollar engine shop, believe it or not..)….and substituted a standard-rotation cam for a reverse rotation one. That just about had me suicidal…. What finally tipped me off in that debacle was the owner telling me "Oh, yeah, we put a new distributor in because the gear on the new cam was different".

You can’t fix ‘stupid’…..

Jim

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.