Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Fisherman 4148

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lyks2tinkr
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Good morning all
      I picked up an Evinrude Fisherman 4148 apart and in a box at the Rocky hill meet last Saturday. It’s missing the transom clamp. Are the model and serial numbers stamped anywhere else on the motor? I took a quick look and didn’t see them. Thanks for any help you can give.

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Look for a brass welsh plug on the port cylinder transfer port . . . My Fisherman parts book is in bad shape –

lyks2tinkr
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Gary.
          Was that transom bracket used on other models?

pm-t2
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

yes that transom bracket is common to many other models of Evinrude & Elto motors of the mid-30’s. Any of the brackets from a 4 HP Fisherman or similar motor will fit. Part number might not be exactly the same but they’ll fit.

I probably have a spare bracket around, but it doesn’t have any thumbscrews so you’d have to find/make some of those.

Best,
            PM T2

lyks2tinkr
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the replies.
              I took a look on the cylinder freeze plugs and didn’t see any model and serial number. Perhaps it was replaced long ago.
              In the box of parts that came with it was a single screw transom clamp.
              The tag on the clamp is 4287 which makes it a 38 Sportwin.
              Did any other model in the 30s of similar size use that bronze lower unit?
              Thanks for the offer pmT2 I’ll consider it.

20190328_191031

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by lyks2tinkr.
              • This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by lyks2tinkr.
              pm-t2
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The lower unit was also used on models as early as 1934. The model 4016, for example, which is a 4 HP motor with underwater exhaust.

It may also be the same lower unit as used on the 1932-33 motors like the Sportwin or Elto Fisherman, as well as some of the brass lower unit single cylinder motors. The difference would have been in the size of the anti-cavitation plate. 1932-33 motors had a very small one, the 34’s were larger. The anti-cavitation plate was part of the water pump, as you can see in your photo. I’m attaching a picture of my 1932 Evinrude Sportwin for reference. Hope this helps.

Best,
                PM T2

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by pm-t2.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.