Evinrude Fisherman 6

Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Fisherman 6

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• green-thumbs

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 583
    Topics: 43

Evinrude Fisherman 6002 1970 It started and ran well several years ago. A good friend’s son is interested in it. He is said to be moderately competent DIY type, Other than replacing the plastic gear in starter I have left it be. It has been in dry heated basement for several years. Is the Fisherman 6 an easy motor for a novice to do TLC on,,the usual ignition, carburetor and impeller. Does it have the Universal Magneto, thermostat or special procedure required rather than a have at it approach. May run just fine as it stands, but, things do go stale just sitting on a rack.

Thanks

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

nice easy to maintain   simple design but…. one must learn how to  take care of it under the FW… the rest is oil in the GC (check for water)    and carb  clean up

again.. all is easy  when you know how

Johnson (leeroysramblings.com)

Outboard Motor Carburetor  Repai (leeroysramblings.com)

Maintaining Johnson 9.9 Troubleshooting (leeroysramblings.com)

Rebuilding the OMC Fuel Pump (leeroysramblings.com)

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1064
    Topics: 72

Nooo problem for you Louis!   Most Ignition parts are similar same impeller and shock absorber I think.  Although that rewind can make a preacher cuss!   Somewhere in those years the points changed but you probably don’t need new ones anyway.

dale

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Perfect engine for a novice for sure.

Tom Bertulli

Replies: 29
    Topics: 1

I have one that I’m working on now. These are simple, almost bullet proof little motors even for the novice.

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

Might be the best running 2 stroke engine ever made. I don’t think a 1970 model had the shock absorber. Universal mag. It might run as is, might need points cleaned or might even need coils….it all depends on what was in there to start with and how long it was there. The thermostat (if somebody left it in there, I hope) is good for idle speed stability. I’d a least put it in boiling water to make sure it opens and closes. A new one would be best but they are costing up towards $50 in some cases, these days. Lower crank shaft seal system has the spring and cross pin arrangement. You have to turn the drive shaft as the lower unit is dropped to change the impeller, or you will bend a small roll pin on the drive shaft. You technically don’t have to pull the power head to change the impeller anymore; but if you do pull the power head, you can be much more assured that the lower crank shaft seal is in good shape and not damaged. Make sure you tell the new owner to be very careful of the shift handle. Do NOT lay the motor on that handle! It is very fragile.

Long live American manufacturing!

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

the six has a carbon seal under the ph… just like  this 5.5    (only  6-7  bolts to remove, fuel line and a link)

be very careful not to drop it ..it is carbon and fragile… the base  gasket  has a specifiec design  choosethe part # carefully if you need to change the one on place…(if  broken)

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by crosbyman.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Might be the best running 2 stroke engine ever made. I don’t think a 1970 model had the shock absorber. Universal mag. It might run as is, might need points cleaned or might even need coils….it all depends on what was in there to start with and how long it was there. The thermostat (if somebody left it in there, I hope) is good for idle speed stability. I’d a least put it in boiling water to make sure it opens and closes. A new one would be best but they are costing up towards $50 in some cases, these days. Lower crank shaft seal system has the spring and cross pin arrangement. You have to turn the drive shaft as the lower unit is dropped to change the impeller, or you will bend a small roll pin on the drive shaft. You technically don’t have to pull the power head to change the impeller anymore; but if you do pull the power head, you can be much more assured that the lower crank shaft seal is in good shape and not damaged. Make sure you tell the new owner to be very careful of the shift handle. Do NOT lay the motor on that handle! It is very fragile.

I would agree, this engine was one of the best running, most durable, easy to service outboards ever produced by any manufacturer.  Yeah, they are good trolling motors, not much for WOT power though.  Listen to Bill’s advice about pulling the powerhead to check the lower seal components, and no stupid driveshaft shock absorber on these engines.  And yes, be very careful with that shift handle, easily broken, and expensive to replace.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.