Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Lightfour (4231) questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Finn Freeman
    Participant

US Junior Member Under the age of 18 - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

1.) As I started cleaning the grease out of the back of the prop for my lightfour, a section of the rubber fell out. Will this be a problem, if so, is it salvageable, or should I add a new prop to my parts list?

prop-rubber
      prop-rubber-side

2.) I was told by some club members that the gearcase oil/grease needs to be thicker than sae 90 for it to seal, if it has bushings. I was also told that the black/brown goop that I found in my gearcase is good, and some people prefer that type of lubricant in gearcases from the 20s, 30s, and 40s. Is it possible to find old bottles of that stuff use?

hot-fudge

aquasonic
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Hi Finn. It’s great to see a junior member involved in this hobby and in this forum. This is a rewarding hobby, and you will make some lifetime friends!

If this is like some other OMC motors from the 1940’s, the rubber that you see is a shock absorbing ring. There is an aluminum and bronze hub inside of it, and all of it is removable. Often times the rubber ring is reusable, but if not, there are likely new old stock parts in existence.

I have been able to “patch up” some of these rubber rings by removing them, cleaning all the grease off of everything, and using Permatex Ultra Black on the outside of the hub, and inside of the prop prior to reassembly. Your prop looks to be in good condition, so go with it.

Regarding gearcase grease, John Deere Corn Head Grease is the only product that I know of left on the market.

A club member had one of these running at a recent meet, and it ran nice and smooth!

The Boat House
        Participant

I have sent you a PM with a video link about the grease we use today.
          Tubs

Finn Freeman
          Participant

US Junior Member Under the age of 18 - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have sent you a PM with a video link about the grease we use today.
            Tubs

Thanks Tubs, I receive your PM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.