Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Linkage Reversed?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MARC BOUCHER
    Participant

US Member

I was putting together the linkage for my throttle and gear shifter for my 1964 40 hp Evinrude last night after working all weekend fixing up my boat and putting together the throttle box (correct term?) was the last part of this project. Couldn’t wait to get the boat back in the water.

However, I noticed that something wasn’t right – it seemed that when I went forward with the throttle lever, it was moving the throttle on the motor the wrong way – exact same thing with the gear shifter. When I went to put it in forward, it was actually putting the motor in reverse. I’ve put these boxes back together dozens of times and this has never happened before. I’m stumped and embarrassed. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am/was doing wrong?

Any advice is appreciated!
      -Marc

Boats: '47 Dunphy, '64 Starcraft
      Motors:
      '53 Evinrude 25; '54 Evinrude 7.5; '55 Evinrude 7.5; '56 Evinrude 30 Lark; '56 Evinrude 16; '58 Johnson 18; '60 Evinrude 10; '64 Evinrude 40

frankr
      Participant

US Member

What kind of control do you have, a Morse? That is the only kind that I know of that can be assembled to work backwards.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

More likely, you have the throttle cable connected to the shift and vice-versa. That would work backwards.

MARC BOUCHER
          Participant

US Member

Oh my goodness – you are right. I had the cables reversed! Yes, it is the normal Simplex controls… Well thanks for the simple idea for me to check – I can’t believe I did that and then told all of you on this list!

Boats: '47 Dunphy, '64 Starcraft
            Motors:
            '53 Evinrude 25; '54 Evinrude 7.5; '55 Evinrude 7.5; '56 Evinrude 30 Lark; '56 Evinrude 16; '58 Johnson 18; '60 Evinrude 10; '64 Evinrude 40

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.