Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Model N tank color and shift mechanism

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul Munson
    Participant

I picked up a Model N recently that has a different type shift than I am finding on others on the internet. It seems like it works when I shift and move it manually. This one shifts by turning the handle which then releases the cog in in the photo I have of the lower unit.
      The questions I have are, how long did they make this version before going to push button shifting on the N
      The other question I had is what color was the tank or was it even painted at all. I thought I seen a red one somewhere on the internet which would explain the red paint remaining on mine.
      Thanks,
      Paul

davidk
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There are a couple of recent videos on the PTBC chapter youtube channel showing a recent restoration of a model N.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcuyprrw2kA&t=487s&frags=pl%2Cwn

I think the red on your tank is done by a prior owner to “pimp their ride”.

Tom
        Participant

US Member

Your motor is a very early one, 1923. That shift mechanism was only used in ’23, AFAIK, and was replaced with the more common up/down version. The tank is not painted, it is polished brass. The brass tank was used on all of the early Sportwins, then later it was only used on the NS saltwater version. The carburetor was unique to 1923, photo attached. Cylinders were grey, all other years were blue. Nothing else was painted.
          Private message me if there is any other information you want about the Model N Sport Twins and Sportwins.

Tom Manley

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Tom.
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.