Home Forum Ask A Member EVINRUDE RBM 1911-1912?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Your help is necessary. I from Russia, the city of Novorossiysk on the Black Sea in 300 km from the city of Sochi (where there took place the Winter Olympic Games of 2014) At me in a collection appeared EVINRUDE RBM 1911 or 1912 of year. I found it a week ago. It has number 2257. What it precisely years of release? How many can such motor cost? Also on it it is necessary for me: control stick, spark plug, round emphasis 2 pieces, battery ignition, set of laying. Very much I hope for your help. I also have EVINRUDE RBM of 1913 of release in very good condition, it has number 122 **. Do you have a photo of RBM motors of 1911-1912. Tell me please that on my motor still is necessary, or that not so.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
      Anonymous

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
        eltoquad
        Participant

US Member

You have an excellent example of the early Evinrude row boat motor. The missing parts needed to operate the motor are very available. Some one with more knowledge is sure to answer your inquiry as to the correct year and maybe the the value. I would guess that in USA it could get a couple of thousand dollars since it appears to be in such excellent condition.

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Art DeKalb has the correct transom clamp pads for your 1911 Evinrude rowboat motor – #49 clamp pad – see our Links page under for the old Outboard.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-13-at-5.29.47-PM

joecb
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

First , it appears that you have a wonderful example of an original unmolested early Row Boat Motor. From the reference material that I have, I would say that you have 1912 motor, From the serial number 122xx , a motor manufactured in latter part of 1912. For information the 1911 model had no thrust adjustment screw on the front of the gear case as is found on the 1912 model. The 1913 model added the skeg on the gear case. Let’s see what the experts have to say.

Joe B

BROOK E. NEWCOMB
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hello Artem,
                Congratulations on your nice original find. I share Joe’s opinion on the Year of the motor being 1912.
                As rare as it is to find a 1912 you are really lucky to find one with the correct pieces not broken, repaired
                or replaced with a part from a different year as parts for the early Evinrudes are not readily available.
                At quick glance the gear case on the 1912 & 1913 look the same minus the skeg.
                You mentioned you have a 1913 as well, providing it has the correct gear case place the two side by side
                and you will find the 1913 not only will it have a skeg the casting will be larger in size it will have three
                Screws mounting the rear bearing carrier. The one on the 1912 would be smaller with two screws.
                I agree with Gary you should be able to get transom screw pads from Art.
                As far as the plug I use a Champion X in my 1910, 1911 and 1912 with success.
                In regards to the tiller handle for the 1912 the correct fitting handle is thin in profile.
                use caution when searching for one as there are some reproductions floating around out there
                That are thicker in profile and will not clear the bottom of the cylinder with out heavy modification
                to the handle. Try to avoid the temptation of trying to bend the tiller yoke to get a thicker handle to clear
                The bottom of the cylinder as it will snap off with little effort.

Enjoy your new find,

Respectfully,
                Brook E. Newcomb
                Evinrude Rowboat Motor
                Special Interest group
                508-277-4448
                benewcomb@hotmail.com

outboardnut
                Participant

US Member
                  outboardnut
                  Participant

US Member
                    pm-t2
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I do not necessarily buy into labeling motor with a serial number of 2257 as a 1912 and leaving it like that. The serial number is simply far below where the 1912 sequence is listed as beginning.

I would also caution against saying that the presence of the lash adjuster on the lower unit rules it out as a 1911 model. I have seen adjusters on lower units on motors that I would have positively identified as a 1911. Ditto for the exhaust manifold with the block script on it.

I would look at other cast components of this Evinrude (transom bracket, crankcase halves, thumbscrews, gas tank castings, timer lever) to see if casting numbers appear on them or not. Lack of casting numbers on those components might provide a firmer answer (or not).

Attached is a picture of Evinrude #948. Is it a 1910 or 1911? Personally, I kinda don’t really care. I own it; that’s good enough for me…

Best,
                      PM T2

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.