Evinrude remote tank paint

Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude remote tank paint

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• chuckw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 111
    Topics: 22

What is a good rattle can match for a 1956 Sportwin gas tank?

aquasonic

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 634
    Topics: 42

Duplicolor Engine Paint in color red is a fairly close match for around $8.00 per can. I have had good results with Duplicolor Engine Primer, followed by Duplicolor Engine Red, then Duplicolor Engine Clear Coat.

Reprotint in Ohio has “OMC Fuel Tank Red” in rattle cans. This is a higher quality paint, but it goes for $25.00 to $30.00 per can once your done paying for the expensive ground shipping. Reprotint also has compatible primer and clear coat. They even have a 2 stage clearcoat in a special rattle can, but that is even pricier.

The drawback of the less expensive Duplicolor, is that it’s “softer” and scratches or chips more easily. Most of my tanks are for display, so I’m OK with the less expensive paint. I hope to someday have professional spray equipment and a spray booth, but for now it’s rattle cans.

20191201_082337-2

seakaye12

Replies: 1117
    Topics: 108

Whatever paint you decide on….my advice would be to first paint a small piece of metal with all the products that you have selected (typically primer, main color, and clear) . This allows you to ascertain that there will be no lifting (peeling) etc when you apply the clear…..and then also you can do a test with gasoline to ensure that your paint is gasoline tolerant to a degree that satisfies you.

olcah

Replies: 566
    Topics: 94

Duplicolor primer and paint from NAPA. Decal from David@Shabestari.com. Not exact but doggone close especially if you use the tank.

mytank2

1 user thanked author for this post.

chuckw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 111
    Topics: 22

thanks for the help. the Johnson tank looks redder than the Evinrude I have, which I grant is original from 1956, but the paint looks darker red than the Johnson. I will have to contact Peter McDowell.

kirkp

Replies: 240
    Topics: 16

I heard/read somewhere that duplicolor paint baked at 400 deg for 30 minutes get hard. I’m pretty sure those numbers are correct.
    Kirk

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.