Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude zephyr 4404 pull start question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    topgun6272
    Participant

Hello it’s me again I have another about the Evinrude zephyr 4404 I noticed the manual string pully it has 3 bolt holes is that so I can get a pull cord spring loaded starter or is this just a old school manual wrap only motor?

david-bartlett
      Participant

Alaska,

Your 4404 Zephyr originally came with a Simplex starter.(Recoil)

Should look like this.

Attachments:

topgun6272
        Participant

mine is missing the top no pull string i have to wrap a rope around it looks like whats in pic on mine i just wrap around it

Attachments:

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

You should also have threaded holes in the top of the gas tank.

This shows a little better how it goes together. . .

Because of slight differences in castings, the hub of the starter pulley should be centered on the crankshaft after the housing is firmly in place. The 395460 is the most popular rewind spring used in both Evinrude’s and Johnsons. It is also available as Sierra Marine part number 18-6501. Most AOMCI members make there own 43A195 pawl springs. 😀

topgun6272
            Participant

Awesome Thank you so much Garry you have been amazing help. So mine is missing the whole simplex starter when I got it. I just assumed it was old and it could only take a manual wrapped rope until I noticed 3 threaded holes on top of tank .Do you know where I can find one?

lindy46
              Participant

US Member

Post a free want-ad here – someone may have one. You’ll also need the springs (3), equalizer ring, washers (3) snap rings (3) and pawls (3) as shown above. I believe Dan Gano has all those parts:
                http://www.ganotech.com

topgun6272
                Participant

Here’s a picture of mine what springs do I need?

fastjohn
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have the starter assembly, (part number 275,317 on Gary’s diagram) but not all the small parts that mount to the flywheel.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.