Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Zephyr Recoil Starter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    cark-k
    Participant

Hi. I have a Zephyr with a pull starter but it’s missing the 3 pawl springs and I think a retaining ring/washer. Does anyone have a picture of a working Zephyr recoil starter? I forget how they were set up on top of the flywheel. Also, I found the pawl springs on ebay for $30.00 but am hoping to find them cheaper if possible. I’ve tried using unwound guitar strings as springs, but the pawls don’t disengage when the motor is running. Tia, Carl

frankr
      Participant

US Member

I’m sure somebody will be along with the instructions for making the springs. But here is how they go

imgurl

Mumbles
        Participant

Here ya go.

cark-k
          Participant

I just had success using guitar strings but I’m missing that big retainer ring under the springs which holds the pawls flat?, guess I’ll have to make one. I may drill a tiny hole or cut a slot in the posts where the small loop of the springs wraps around so they don’t fly off like they’ve been doing. No more starting with a rope! Thanks for the picture and spring making info fella’s!

Not pretty but they work great, finally 😀

cark-k
            Participant

One of the stops where one of the pawl hits was really worn so I drilled and tapped a hole and threaded in a machine screw to make a new stop (left). This is where that big retaining ring/washer comes in I think to keep the pawls from flopping around and riding up on the guides.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Actually that ring is called an equalizer ring (or something like that). It’s purpose is to link all the pawls together so they all move in-out together.

cark-k
                Participant

I see now…makes sense. Thanks!

r-delawter
                  Participant

I’m needing those same springs for my zephyr so very happy to see these instructions.

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

Sorry, I’ve been away – the parts came in to fix my bike. Good thing, the wheel bearing went out on my Tricycle.

The snap rings on the pawl posts are supposed to hold them down. Here is how they go together …

Because of quality control problems with sand casting, there were slight variations in the Simplex Starter mounts. In order to be sure the pawls did not drag on the flywheel and all three pawls engaged properly, it was necessary to center the starter pulley each time the rewind spring was changed. The 200565 starter pulley shaft has a 3/16" hole in it. This is so a 3/16" rod can be put through it to center it over the dead center in the top of the crankshaft. While the shaft is thus centered, the 133141 nut is tightened to hold it in place. Then the rod is removed and the 133157 acorn nut is installed to seal the hole and keep the 133141 nut from loosening. A special tool was available to fit the top of the shaft to keep it from turning while the nut was tightened.

r-delawter
                      Participant

Excellent information. Thank you for posting everyone.
                        I’m working on a couple zephyrs that are new to me so I’m soaking up all the information I see.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.