Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude Zephyr, what to look for ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    todd281
    Participant

I am going to look at a Zephyr this afternoon and would like any advise from the members on what to look for, or “tripping points” for these motors. I will check that it turns over and has decent compression . My concern is mostly with the coils, condensers, points. If I need them can they be had ? pricey? Need to contact the Pope ? Any replies appreciated .

mercuryman
      Participant

No missing parts there are a lot of Zephyrs so buy a complete one. Coils can be found, Lightfour or Speedfour coils fit .

todd281
        Participant

ok another aquasition, I now own one Zephyr

Mumbles
          Participant

Zephyr ignition systems can get a bit finicky as one set of points fires two cylinders at the same time so they have to be really clean and gapped correctly. On this Zephyr I removed the points and condensers and used red Atom modules to replace them. Much easier starting and smoother running.

40-Zephyr

Zephyr-Atoms

https://youtu.be/W-7ZawbSc8U

todd281
            Participant

Wow, that looks like a nice clean set up for the point replacement. I did a quick search for “atom ignition modules” but it seems they went out of business around 2005 . does anyone know of a alternative to them?

2fast4me
              Participant

I had mine running in the barrel after dark and the spark plug wires were arcing away under the magneto plate. It was quite a show. So check for cracked ignition wiring.
                The gas tank is vented through the carb via a small copper line which is usually plugged. Quickest fix is to get a vented cap.
                Jim

2Fast4Me

Mumbles
                Participant

Using shorty spark plugs will also help prevent any arcing under the front cover.

todd281
                  Participant

I thought of using the shorter plug style . Am I correct that the replacement “shorty” would be a Champion CJ 6 or equivalent? And I am still wondering how to choose the right module for the pointless conversion? I see that there are many different kinds of Ignition Modules available but not to much info on how to choose the right one for a older outboard. They all seem to be listed for specific engine makes like; Briggs , or sometime it says “Fits most chainsaws” So how does one choose the right one when shopping for a Zephyr?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by todd281.
                    todd281
                    Participant

And now that I have pulled the flywheel I see that the previous owner has replaced the plug wires, they are the right solid core wires but I would like to make sure that he has them in the right order. Does someone know, which connection on the coils went to which plug? I also need to know if I should expect this to throw a 7/16 gap spark or is that wishful thinking? I do see a spark on all four wires but I am not sure about it being a good spark. thanks

mercuryman
                      Participant

IS there a marker on two wires is so these are the top plugs or pull the top plugs rotate motor until pistons are at top. Now check points the the ones that open when pistons are near the top are top points.. Now trace point wire to coil ..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.