Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude zephyr

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I just bought a Zephyr. I have it running but not well at all . I beleave it’s a 1940 . I wish to use it on my sail boat but only if I can have it not spill gas everywhere. I would like to replace the large carburetor with 3 small carburetors the 3 carbs I chose are just like what you see on modern weed wackers designed for 30 to 50 cc engines . These have a prime bulb that you push to prime the engine and a little diaphragm pump that’s actuated by the alternating pressure /vacuumed of the engine . I’m wondering if it will work on a multi cylinder engine such as this . Also if anyone has tried this ?

joecb
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a couple of Zephyrs that run good. I can not help on with the plan to replace the carb. However, I will say that the Zephyr has an extremely complex carb and fuel vent system. One really needs to understand how all the parts and pieces work before doing much with the motor. And a warning… because of the close proximity of all the fuel systems to the four spark plugs/ wires all enclosed by tight fitting shrouds, DO NOT run the motor if there are fuel leaks present. Don’t ask how we all know this!

Joe B

frankr
        Participant

US Member

OK, I’ll bite. Why three carburetors? One thing for sure, you will be pioneering on this project. Keep us posted

phil-b
          Participant

The fire warning reminds me of this page by the late, great Art Sesselberg:

http://www.oddjobmotors.com/ihatezephyrs.htm

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

When I was a teen my Zephyr never ran long enough to catch
              on fire. 😆 , but my 3 hp Buccaneer did….. twice!

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member
                quote FrankR:

OK, I’ll bite. Why three carburetors? One thing for sure, you will be pioneering on this project. Keep us posted

I’m glad you asked Frank….. I was thinking it should have four carbs! 😕

Prepare to be boarded!

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

It is more like two – A tiny low speed carburetor runs off a rotary valve drilled into the center main bearing. The high speed carburetor is split. One side feeding the upper rotary valve for the top pare of cylinders and the other side feeding the rotary valve for the bottom pare. Fuel leakage is usually a bad float or one that is set too high – OR a leaking float valve (dirt or corrosion) OR bad fuel line connections. You can only tighten the fuel lines so much, then you have to replace them . . . 😉

joesnuffy
                  Participant

I have 3 Zephyrs and they will run and run well with the carb that comes on them but it is a more complicated carb. I suspect yours just need servicing.

Joe

aquasonic
                    Participant

US Member

Those little box carburetors are great for power equipment. They have no float, and that’s why my weed edger can run just fine upside down. I’m interested in how you get the crankcase pulse to all three carburetors.

Anonymous

The carburetors I selected were 1round 11 dollars each they , are 2 cycle carbs and their design is completely sealed fuel pups into an inlet with a pump built into the carb and unused fuel takes a return path back to the tank . Thought that would be an advantage, given the vent on the tank can be used as a return path . Also the zephyr I think is about 150 cc displacement and these carbs have a cubic foot minute rating suitable for 50 cc engine three of them should ,,, if balanced correctly 3 carbs should provide the required combustion mixture . My big concern is will the little pressure vacuumed operate fuel pumps work on such an engine . On a single cylinder 2 cycle the crank case changes from pressure to vacuum rapidly acting on the fuel pump diaphragm in this carb. On a multi cylinder,? Well there s the rub . I m not sure if it will pump fuel properly with multiple pistons.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.