Home Forum Ask A Member Evirude Scout details please

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Monte NZ
    Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Recently I was given an Evinrude Scout. The Model No. is 4201 Serial No. 03158 and I was wondering if someone could please tell me what year it is and what hp. it is.

Thanks in advance for any help.
      Monte NZ

Al
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

book say 1937 hp 0.9

The Boat House
        Participant

The Scout was only available in 1937.
          It is a Pal with side covers but no where
          near as common.

Scout

Scout-Ad

Monte NZ
          Participant

Thanks Avatar and Tubs for sorting that problem. and thanks for the excellent pictures too Tubs…………..interesting to learn
            that they were only produced for one year in 1937.

Thanks again
            Monte NZ

lloyd
            Participant

Boy Scouts of America had just formed and they complained to Evinrude about using the “Scout” name, so Evinrude stopped production. I have a running original Scout.

fifty20ne
              Participant

Evinrude also made a nice Fisherman kit for the scout!
                Muncie copied the Evinrude Scout design in 1938.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE NEPTUNE MIGHTY MITE OUTBOARD MOTOR
                By Doug Penn
                originally for AOMCI Knuckle Buster Chapter’s THE KNUCKLE KNEWS – Vol. 18, #4
                In 1930 the Muncie Gear Works of Muncie Indiana, started building and marketing a 2 hp opposed twin
                outboard motor. From this modest beginning came a line of outboard motors that spanned almost 60 years.
                In 1938 they produced the first of what would, many years later, evolve into the popular Neptune Mighty Mite.

This little engine was a carbon copy of the Evinrude Scout motor that had sold so well the previous year. It
                was designated as the 1A38 or 138A model, and was rated at 1.2 hp. The same motor was produced, almost
                unchanged, as the 1A39 or 139A in 1939. In 1940 the horsepower and bore were increased to 1.5hp, with the
                introduction of the 10A1, and the 11A1 in 1941. The 15A1 of 1945/46 was 1.5 hp as well.
                This group of engines was the first of the MIGHTY MITE style motors. They are easily distinguished by their
                spark plug, which was mounted on the starboard side of the cylinder head. With the exception of the piston
                and cylinder bore, almost all the parts were interchangeable within this first group.

01414_lc2zeDdpT8u_1200x900

11127683_1

eryer

joecb
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Lloyd and others .. here is what I know about Boy Scouts of America and the Evinrude “Scout” legend . I acquired an Evinrude Scout in 2015 and was curious about the legend, since I am also a registered BSA leader I thought that I would have an inside track in investigating. I visited the BSA National Scouting Museum in Irving Texas in 2016. I asked about the Scout outboard story and whether there was any possibility of finding documents in the archive that would collaborate the story. I was referred to the Manager of Collections , one Ms. Gail Mayfield. I was asked to provide specific information, which I did subsequently through several written letters… .followed by phone calls. Long story short… I was told that they could find no documents from 1934 – 1938 time period that indicated any communication with the Evinrude Company. Now, my personal feeling is that I kinda’ got blown off by the folks at the museum. I mean why go digging through some old dusty files ( if they even exist) to answer some old guys weird request.
                  So, if anyone has a burning desire to dig into the “story” further, you can try contacting the folks at the BSA museum and be more persistent.

Joe B
                  PS, the BSA was founded in 1910 … long before the Scout was introduced

Buccaneer
                  Participant

Just for kicks, I Googled “BSA and Evinrude” and found an ad on the
                    same page, one for Evinrude, and one for BSA.
                    But the interesting part is, that it was for Evinrude Bicycles!
                    https://books.google.com/books?id=PZAnQOErXhAC&pg=PA50&lpg=PA50&dq=boy+scouts+of+america+evinrude&source=bl&ots=ss-SNoVVkZ&sig=ACfU3U1291UeP6mO4LID7roLDMq7dWHvFg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjnlpy93pnhAhUIw4MKHSaKBC4Q6AEwEHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=boy%20scouts%20of%20america%20evinrude&f=false

Prepare to be boarded!

Monte NZ
                    Participant

Thanks Joe B and Bucaneer for your input. You can’t help but wonder what the true story is .
                      It will be interesting to see if anyone else comes up with anything.

I have only seen two Evinrude Scouts. A chap I know, has one and the other is this motor, given to me after being found in the local boat club rubish bin!
                      It seems to be reasonably complete, but the gear box is stuffed as it is all corroded inside. However it could be fixed up to look ok for display purposes.

Thanks once again for your replies,
                      Monte NZ

garry-in-michigan
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

Dad told me Bess Evinrude received a call from BSA informing her Scout, Scouts and Scouting were there trade names and would sue if Evinrude continued to use them. This was well into spring production and Bess assured them no more offending outboards would be produced. She hinted a legal action might be bad for the Boy Scouts reputation and they decided to let it go at that. A hurried sales conference was set up and Ranger was chosen as the new name for that small single. A standing joke was that the Lone Ranger would not object unless a silver bullet was attached to each motor. There was some question about how Tonto’s horse got away with it. –

Getum up Scout . . .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.