Factory Gasket Sealer

Home Forum Ask A Member Factory Gasket Sealer

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• bobw

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2448
    Topics: 56

Every OMC service manual I’ve ever read says that all new engine gaskets should be coated with a gasket sealer (including the head gasket in some manuals). I may not have a big reference base since my outboard collection is very small, but every mid to late 50’s OMC motor I’ve opened up apparently never had any type of gasket sealer – every gasket has easily come out in one piece with zero trace of sealer residue on either the gasket itself or the gasket mating surfaces. Most of those original gaskets were in very good condition and could likely be re-installed on the motor. So what type of sealer was originally used during factory assembly or did OMC use some type of original gasket material that did not require a sealer? In the process of a full mechanical restoration I always install new gaskets and apply sealer to them, so was curious if some different process was used at the time of original assembly.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

What you have observed is basically true, they didn’t use sealer back in “the Day”. But they changed their mind and came up with their own sealer. General rule is use it on gaskets that come in contact with water, including head gaskets—Except the ones that are pre-coated. Don’t use it where squeeze-out will cause problems such as reed plate and carburetors.

Lot’s of opinions on this subject.

BTW, gaskets themselves have changed too. The old ones had asbestos fibers.

bobw

Replies: 2448
    Topics: 56

Thanks for that info Frank. I do follow the rule of applying sealer only where the gasket is in contact with water and never on the air intake side.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.