Home Forum Ask A Member FD11 crankshafts

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    speedyk50
    Participant

Hi all! I have a technical question …
      I have 3 old crankshafts for 18 Johnsons (FD11 – 1957 …). They are all not good for service as they have some pitting and lines that you can catch your fingernail in which will destroy bearings in no time. I hate to throw them out without knowing if they could be salvaged by regrinding them down to a specified depth and then using an oversized needle bearing set. This in turn may – depending on the clearance in the cages may cause interference or …..??? I have a new one (after a long search) so these are surplus and I hate to throw them out.
      Just curious!
      – Ken Speed – Member AOMCI
      p.s. I still have my Big Bee and 20h for sale.
      kspeed@sasktel.net

chris-p
      Participant

Im with ya. I have a box full of cranks that are not good, but keep them in case a way to revive them surfaces in the future! I too have journals that are so pitted they cannot be polished out, and some with damaged flywheel nut threads.

bill-russell
        Participant

An outboard crank can be rebuilt, however the cost is a bit prohibitive unless the crank is so rare that cost is not a factor. They build the surface up using various methods, then grind to original specs,then re-harden. Bill

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

There used to be a local guy here that ground them and fitted oversize rollers. But I never saw his handiwork, nor know how he dealt with the cages. Perhaps he omitted the cages and packed it full of rollers (???). Moot point now, as that was 50 years ago.

speedyk50
            Participant

Thanks guys!
              It looks like they would need to find another occupation. I know – they would make an excellent Irish shillelagh – just weld on a 15" handle and keep that beside your bed!!! The Scotties would be envious! This may start a whole new thread – sorry, couldn’t resist. 🙂
              Cheers,
              – Ken

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.