Home Forum Ask A Member Flywheel free play

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Newyota
    Participant

On my 25 hp I can rotate my flywheel about 3 teeth positions and feel no resistence.Other outboards I own have resistence immediately.Engine runs great.It does make a slight knocking noise “I Think” compared to my 9.9hp.I tried testing for play in cylinders with a dowel and unless I did not push on the pistons hard enough I felt no play there.Any ideas?

Mumbles
      Participant

Are you doing this test with the pistons at the end or the middle of their travel? Naturally, at the end, you will have some looseness before they start moving again. You didn’t say what year the 25 is but chances are it’s much older than the 9.9 and worn more internally.

A certain amount of free play in the flywheel is normal as all of the bearings have clearances which must be taken up while rocking the flywheel. The noise you here could be piston slap from worn pistons/cylinders. You should be good to go.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

This sounds familiar. Did you post this on another forum? The way it was worded on the other forum seems to indicate worn wrist pin bushings. Disregard if you are not the same guy.

EDIT: I just found the other posting. It I by somebody else, named Stanley and titled RD rod bearings, down below on this forum/.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by frankr.
          Newyota
          Participant

Are you doing this test with the pistons at the end or the middle of their travel? Naturally, at the end, you will have some looseness before they start moving again. You didn’t say what year the 25 is but chances are it’s much older than the 9.9 and worn more internally.

A certain amount of free play in the flywheel is normal as all of the bearings have clearances which must be taken up while rocking the flywheel. The noise you here could be piston slap from worn pistons/cylinders. You should be good to go.

Thanks for the info!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.