Home Forum Ask A Member Flywheel play

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Samuel Phelps
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a heard about having too much play in the flywheel . Is this too much on the Speeditwin ..
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pE7OEPRai3Y

Anonymous

?

Samuel Phelps
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sorry if this is a stupid question .. Complete newb here just going by what I have read here on this sight .. I’m talking about the free spin of the flywheel .
          If what I have looks normal forget I posted it . I have heard about it shearing the key or something with to much slop in the wheel ?

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

Take the spark plugs out and check for slop in the piston pin and rod journals, one
            at a time, but rotating engine so the piston you’re checking is on the “down stroke”,
            and take a wood dowel rod and push in on the piston sharply.
            If you feel and hear a “clunk” you know you have play somewhere that should be
            addressed.

Prepare to be boarded!

Tom
            Participant

US Member

I hear two different sounds, one when you start to turn the flywheel, and one at the end.

The first one MAY be rods or wrist pins, but is likely the connection between the crank and the driveshaft. To figure that out you would have to do what Buccaneer mentioned. Alternatively, remove the powerhead from the tower and retest OR have someone put a little back pressure on the rotating prop shaft while you do that test OR just wiggle the prop back and forth a little and see if you hear the same noise.

The second noise needs to be explored, I can’t determine what that is. Is it possible that the flywheel magnets are hitting the mag plate? Does that sound always occur in the same location of the flywheel rotation? Does it correspond to prop shaft position?

T

Samuel Phelps
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sorry that noise you hear is where I took the carb off and covered the intake port with blue tape . The compression is making the tape pop back and forth …

Tom
                Participant

US Member

LOL, well, one mystery solved…

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

I think you are defining “play” as the distance between being able to feel compression on one cylinder vs the other. It looks pretty normal to me, but I don’t have one of those like yours. Do a compression check. I would define “play” as the amount the flywheel moves before a piston moves.
                    Dave

Samuel Phelps
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes the amount of distance before I feel compression is what I was referring to .. I did the wooden dowel thing and the pistons seemed pretty tight to me with no chatter or anything . Maybe I did that wrong after re-reading Buccaneer’s post .
                      I have checked the compression before I got it running and it was 80 on both cylinders ..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.