Home Forum Ask A Member Flywheel Strap Wrench

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    aquasonic
    Participant

US Member

I’m looking for suggestions for purchasing or making a flywheel strap wrench. My intended use is as a counter force for when I need to torque a flywheel nut.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

ftruntz
      Participant

US Member

Stevens makes one and has replacement straps available (stevensinstrument.com)
        I made mine from a small plumbers strap wrench I bought at a flea market. I use an autmotive serpentine belt for the strap. Works great.

49hiawatha
        Participant

I bought a very nice aluminum one with a large strap . Made in AMERICA! I bought it on Amazon. Under $20.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

A piece of 2 x 2 lumber, a piece of nylon webbing, a few nails and Presto! A strap wrench!

screenshot program

free image host

tom-c
            Participant

I made the one Frank suggested, with a piece of 2×2 and an old belt. Works great!

Mumbles
              Participant

I waited for the cheap offshore ones to go on sale (less than ten bucks) and promptly replaced the stretchy nylon strap with a recycled piece of used serpentine belt from my truck. There’s no stretch and it grips a flywheel like a fly stuck to a screen door!

wedgie
                Participant
                  quote Mumbles:

I waited for the cheap offshore ones to go on sale (less than ten bucks) and promptly replaced the stretchy nylon strap with a recycled piece of used serpentine belt from my truck. There’s no stretch and it grips a flywheel like a fly stuck to a screen door!

You used crazy glue to fasten it to the handle eh Mumbles?

Mumbles
                  Participant

Yup. Works good!

hotrod
                    Participant

I made mine using a seat belt from my old ’65 chevelle. Works every time.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.