Home Forum Ask A Member Fogging Oil Life

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ko4nrbs
    Participant

An 80 plus year old friend of mine has an old Sears 12HP (West Bend) motor sitting outside on his aluminum boat. He is in the Nursing home and will never use it again. I ran it for him about 3 years or so ago and fogged it good then. How often should I be fogging it? I’d like to keep it operational so his daughter can sell it when he passes. He won’t part with it now and says he will be going fishing again soon.

His daughter won’t let me move it inside for some reason. She is his only child.
      Thanks,
      Bill

chris-p
      Participant

Well first off good for you! What a friend you are.

with the winters here in canada the way they are, I do m ine every year to protect the bearings from damage.

20mercman
        Participant

US Member

I will say that you are a great friend! I would think that especially if it has been outside, I would run it ASAP. I don’t know how the fuel system is after that long of a rest, but the quicker you can get it running, the better off it will be. See if it pumps water, use fuel with sea foam stabilizer in it, so any residue will at least have some chance of not turning into green junk. Get it up to normal temp, run it forward and reverse. Then fog it up again!

Steve

The Boat House
          Participant

There is so much going on in a motor that is left
            outside. Moisture is getting into the mag, all the
            fasteners, and everything that need to move.
            It’s hard to understand how those who value
            something so highly they won’t part with it yet
            they don’t care for it.
            I prefer adding extra oil (like 16 to 1) to fogging.
            It should be just dripping with oil inside when you
            shut it off. I’m presently running a motor I haven’t
            used since 2002 or 2003 but it wasn’t left outside.

ko4nrbs
            Participant

Thanks guys!!

I’ll try and run it with 16:1 and then fog it again. I’ll also change the lower unit oil. I changed it when I ran it about 3 years or so ago.

I’ll try again to get it inside the garage and off the boat. His daughter is very sensitive to dealing with his home possessions since he finally is settled in to the Nursing Home. It was quite a battle getting him to accept his fate.
              Bill

jw-in-dixie
              Participant

I can understand the battle!! 83 and was out in the runabout with Bob yesterday, dadgumit!
                Just wait til they try to stuff me in a home – I’m gonna go live on cruise ships!

JW in Dixie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.