Home Forum Ask A Member Force origin ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    retiredoz
    Participant

US Member

Does anybody know who manufactured the three-cyl Force 25-hp first put out in ’95 ? It doesn’t look like any other Chrysler/Force I’ve ever seen.

PugetSoundBoater
      Participant

As i remember, Chrysler had to shed the marine division when they went through the government bailout in 1984. The buyer was Bayliner/US Marine ,who continued the line of motors ,making minor changes, some of which were not too good. Lots of Bayliner boats and Force outboards were sold in the next 10 years or so. Google Chrysler marine , a couple good timelines of the whole history can be found there.
        I don’t believe anybody else made motors for Us Marine under the Force name,but i could be incorrect there.EDIT for details.
        Also of interest Chrysler is the only US company that manufactured boats, trailers and motors, and a rig to tow it with. the whole package.Beat that.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
        Robbie Robertson

david-bartlett
        Participant

Do you have a model or serial #? Looking on ME.com it looks like the 1996 Force 25hp triple is identical to a Mercury 25hp Lightning(International Only) whatever that means.

frankr
          Participant

US Member
            quote david bartlett:

Do you have a model or serial #? Looking on ME.com it looks like the 1996 Force 25hp triple is identical to a Mercury 25hp Lightning(International Only) whatever that means.

That would make sense, since Mercury was the last owner of the Force brand.

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

As a small Force servicing dealer in the 90s, we had a service manual for that motor but never actually saw one of the motors! That is a rare bird. I had always wondered if they had even been produced. It is the only Force made that I actually wanted to own, because of that.

During the Mercury years, they actually did a great deal to improve the Force product. Don’t ask me to remember exactly what model lines; but I remember there were a good deal of them made that had Force, Chrysler-type power heads but from there down, they were identical to a modern Mercury. Most were changed over to the, at-that-time current, ignition system. (Not sure if that was an "improvement," in terms of reliability; but they were WAY easier to troubleshoot and get parts for.) I guess the three cylinder was the next progression of that blending mentality; but I, too, wonder under what corporate roof that power head design originated.

Long live American manufacturing!

retiredoz
              Participant

US Member

ME seems to indicate that motor was made ’96-’98, it didn’t occur to me to look for a Mercury equivalent. Wasn’t that the the approximate timeframe that Mercury started using Tohatsu powerheads for their smaller motors ?

BillW, a buddy of mine has an almost virgin copy – long shaft, even ! – sitting in and taking up space in his shop. Novel-looking critter..

billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It would be cool to see some pictures of the power head and lower end. Maybe the power head will have features that show a family resemblance to Merc, Chrysler or Tohatsu. Maybe I can still find that manual kicking around somewhere….

Too bad that you buddy’s motor is a long shaft…..Otherwise I’d be all over it. lol.

Long live American manufacturing!

bill-russell
                  Participant

That 3 cyl 25 Force was an extension of the twin cyl. 15 hp force. It was mounted on a beefier midsection,and a 25 hp Mercury lower unit. It had the same starter as the 15 force ,same type ign.and similar carb.I worked on several thru the years. Really strong running engines. Hope this helps, Bill

retiredoz
                    Participant

US Member

Yup, that helps, Bill ! Apparently engineering got ahead of marketing on this one ? Looks like it only lasted three seasons.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.