Home Forum Ask A Member Fuel oil ratio

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    bayham3261
    Participant

Thanks Tubs… interesting stuff. I’ve never seen that updated Johnson oil table before. Good also to think about the public view/opinion of smokey engines.

A little information is a dangerous thing!

The Boat House
      Participant

https://www.enginads.com/otto/

PugetSoundBoater
        Participant

This correct oil ratio topic comes up now and then. Makes me think of a comment an Unlimited Hydroplane crew chief said to me once in a conversation.

“Oil is your friend” Kinda referring to the comment by Kerry a couple days ago.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
          Robbie Robertson

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

While Tubs is certainly correct, oil quality has improved greatly over the years, I’ll stick with the theory he mentioned when it comes to plain crank/rod bushing engines, at least on any of my nicer engines that don’t get that much use. While the environmental factor is one that I selfishly have not considered, it is amazing how little these engines smoke at 16:1 when properly tuned…And, the 1960 models have a thermostat which will heat the engine up a bit more, reducing smoke even more.

chris-p
            Participant

Kerry hit the nail on the head. I have a shed full of blown 5.5hp and 7.5hp powerheads from past owners that had no business running them. These NEED the volume of oil to seal properly.

Or run them at 50:1 and blow them. They can make more right?

The Boat House
              Participant
              Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.