Home Forum Ask A Member Fuel:Oil Ratios

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Stuck open or corroded away.

I like looking at the build dates stamped on old stats and quite often a motor from the early sixties will still have the original thermostat in it. No maintenance, no problem. 😕

Attachments:

chris-p
      Participant

No problem Mumbles, run some 50:1 in it to limit the smoke! 🙂

Seen that so many times myself here.

shane-r13
        Participant

I must be one of those guys….except i don’t have a manual, thankfully there is this forum and fellow members like you guys. So speaking of thermostats would a 1974 Evinrude 15Hp have one?

shane-r13
          Participant

Never mind, a quick ebay search answered that question. Guess I’ll add another motor to the list to fix.

PugetSoundBoater
            Participant
              quote Mumbles:

Stuck open or corroded away.

I like looking at the build dates stamped on old stats and quite often a motor from the early sixties will still have the original thermostat in it. No maintenance, no problem. 😕

Mumbles-I didn’t know or have noticed a build date on the old original (or sure looked like it) t stats i have replaced. Where is that date code located?
              I apologize for the off topic info request.
              Thanks, Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
              Robbie Robertson

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member
                quote Shane.R13:

I must be one of those guys….except i don’t have a manual, thankfully there is this forum and fellow members like you guys. So speaking of thermostats would a 1974 Evinrude 15Hp have one?

That model has the thermostat below the lower cylinder, making access to change it difficult. About ten years later it was moved up top, giving easy access.
                Dave

PugetSoundBoater
                Participant

this parts diagram show the t stat #19 ,above that are the water cover that covers the t stat also. Notice the bulge in the lower part of the water cover that surrounds the t stat.They are tricky to install due to space limitations. The water cover portion that covers the t stat is below the top edge of the lower motor cowl. Slide the water cover and gasket (once you have put sealant on the head and gasket surfaces) in over the t stat. I have also removed the hood latch to give a bit more room. But you may have to shorten the cover latch bolt a bit to have enough to get it rethreaded again.
                  It is a tight fit with limited room to work.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                  Robbie Robertson

shane-r13
                  Participant

Thank you! I’ll definately be giving that a look to see if I can change it when it comes out of storage.

Mumbles
                    Participant
                      quote PugetSoundBoater:

Where is that date code located?

It’s stamped on the bottom of the flange which the rubber seal fits on. It would be two digits, such as 64 or 72, which I haven’t seen on newer replacement tstats. The older brass ones usually had it.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.