Home Forum Ask A Member Fuel Proof gloss black

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    twostroke
    Participant

Does anyone have any suggestions for fuel-proof gloss black for ’50’s OMC fuel line/tank couplers? Something brushable would be wonderful. I’m tempted to try catalyzed automotive enamel (unreduced) and a long dry time before use unless someone’s got a better idea.

Thanks!

Jim

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

Tom
      Participant

US Member

POR-15

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

I use automotive paint in the Preval sprayer and mix it with hardener, spray the parts and let dry….. not 100 % fuel proof but very fuel resistant

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

twostroke
          Participant

Duh. I feel stupid. Never thought of that. I’ve still got two quarts of it in my shop refrigerator cuddled up to the Budweiser. Back when I was doing a ton of auto restoration, I used it a lot. Problem solved. On to obsess about something else…

Thanks Tom!

Jim

BTW: POR-15 will last just about forever in a sealed can in the fridge. Voice of experience…

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

elgin2
            Participant

US Member

How about Mercury Phantom Black?

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

try black fingernail polish (it is almost the same stuff (ingredients) as plane dope ) it may tolerate some fuel splashes

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Pete
                Participant

US Member

I see you will be going with what you have. But here is a suggestion that I find works against fuel, convenient and easy to use and get at Home Depot, Lowes , etc.
                  I use the gloss black on my Merc outboard race engines and other stuff, fuel (I use E free + Oil) does not bother it once cured to a hard finish and great gloss. I also use the flat and semi gloss black and some of the other colors. I undercoat with there Professional primer, have used other primers like zinc chromate and auto body based pro primers that work well, what ever primer you use check for compatibility. As usual prep and clean very well. Great stuff.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catal … amel-spray

Regarding the Merc Phantom Black posted above unless you need the expensive Merc stuff for OEM product restoration this Rustoleum paint will work just as good at 1/2 the price.

sydinnj
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Dad even used rustoleum as bottom paint on two of our boats, works great.

Pete
                    Participant

US Member

I use the flat black Rustoleum Professional spray on the planing surface area of my hydros built with 6 mm Ockume plywood bottom + epoxy + varnish + flat black, no removal anywhere at speeds over 60 mph

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.