Home Forum Ask A Member Fuel pump replacement advice Evinrude 4006E

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have noticed on my few small OMC motors that some have the small square pump and some have the larger one with five screws. How interchangeable are these?

The small West Bend/Chrysler/Force pumps use diaphragm flaps for valves, are very simple, and seem to have worked for many years with the same design…..?

True, some of those kind of pumps work ok. Chainsaws generally have flap valves but they only have to lift the fuel a couple of inches. OMC tried it twice that I know of, and both failed.

archangel
      Participant

#179151 Reply new
        I have noticed on my few small OMC motors that some have the small square pump and some have the larger one with five screws. How interchangeable are these?

This is my question, too. I am curious to know if I can put the pump Don sent the link for or perhaps a pump from a similar era 6 hp on the 4006E. The difference in price between all the other pumps I am seeing available and the 0388684 pump is so massive. They all look like the same external layout and dimensions, are they that radically different internally?

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, they are not radically different inside, but orientation of the fuel line outlet differs as does the orientation of the pump mounting screws, some are vertical, some horizontal. The other issue is that oftentimes you will see a tab on the fuel pump saying up with an arrow, this must be pointed upwards or the pump won’t work properly….
          The used pump I pointed out is the original part number for the 4hp 381815, which supercedes to the expensive new part number….
          At this point, my curiosity has peeked…I would probably take the risk of buying the OMC rebuild kit, then pulling your pump apart to see if it can be rebuilt….Or, better yet, pull it apart first and post pictures….Looks like the kit has new inner housings/springs/cups that might replace the original flapper diaphragm system….
          Again, please be very careful disassembling your pump….Get an indullable white marker to draw a line across all the plates/plastic housings, this will ensure all the pieces are properly oriented during reassembly. Be very careful pulling it apart, do it in a clean white bucket to keep bits/pieces from flying away….

The Boat House
          Participant

The Boat House
            Participant

archangel
              Participant

Thanks to all for the information and knowledge. It’ll be a couple of weeks before I get to it as it is at the cottage, but I will update you all with my findings. Thanks again.

amuller
                Participant

Good advice above.

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.