Home Forum Ask A Member Gale 3hp model #3D13

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Geer Pyron
    Participant

Bored yesterday.
      Dug a little motor from the pile. Got it un-froze up. Cleaned up. New coil and new Geer Pyron yellow sprk plg wire.
      But, I really would like to replace the water pump rotor and carb float.
      Carb float not pressing.
      I ordered a nitrophyl block that can be shaped to fit and supposedly doesn’t have to be sealed. Got it from a car restoration company. Anybody ever make their own floats? Balsa wood and Red-Kote?
      But the pump rotor?
      Anybody know where to get one? Can I use one from a 5 horse? Modify it if I have to?
      Frankr, I saw a photo of your collection of these motors so this is partly directed at you.
      Mine is all red, or reddish. Kind of like the bronze of the 56 Johnson.
      It’s gonna kick butt on the square back cedar strip canoe for sho!
      I’ll keep y’all posted.
      Thanks,
      G

JMGP

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Club member Brian Wilcox makes the pump rotors. I modify the Sierra nitrophyl float made for Mercury. No sealer needed. I’m at the kids for Christmas. Can post more details later.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Nitrophyl is easy to carve – hard to get right. You can do it if you’re careful. The Sierra Marie 18-7208 float is the right shape already. Good Luck !

Geer Pyron
          Participant

Welll, got it built back up and ran it (slow walked it?) the other day.
            Putt-putt-putted along.
            Liked it!
            But, I really need (no, want) to replace the two seals, prop and drive shafts.
            I read a post on another forum that describes using a different sized prop shaft seal with slight modification to the housing.
            I’m willing to do this if I could find the right seal!
            Evinrude part #624639.
            No luck.
            Any suggestions as to who may have it?
            Or them I should say cause I started another one very similar, brooklute.
            Thanks,
            G

JMGP

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

disappeared post

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

ok – one line at a time –
                This is what is available from Siera Marine Parts . . .

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Thank You – Pick out what fits . . .

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

I use the OMC 324639 seal. I would think any Evinrude dealer could order you one, but I get them from marineengine.com Don’t know where the intended use is, but it’s a nice double lipped seal with a spring around the inner lip. As for the drive shaft seal, it’s such a pain that I just let ‘er leak and change the grease accordingly

Geer Pyron
                      Participant

Thank you for the help. I ordered a few rotors from Brian Wilcox. Four really cause I liked the lil’ buccaneer so much I’m doing the Brooklure too. I’ve ordered the prop shaft seals from Laignes. And after trying to seperate the two parts of the lower unit, geer case from exhaust, I think I’ll follow Frankrs suggestion. Ha! I even made a special long wide screwdriver to get to that thing down there. No go. I dont wanna put any heat on it so I’ll just be dilligent with geer case lube. And Garry in Tampa, Jonathan in Tallamahassee finally got that ol’ 9.5 Evinrude (the bane of my existence in a good way) running. Like a “scalded rat” he said. Ha!
                        Geer

JMGP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.