Home Forum Ask A Member gas oil ratio for a 1968 Johnson 15hp electric start

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I too, would stick with the original oil mixing specs… And yes, OMC did offer some sort of 15hp around the mid to later 60s.
      Your 1956 15hp electric start may use a 6 volt battery though, not sure.
      What kind of condition does this engine look to be in, can you post some pictures?
      If you plan on using this engine frequently, it is best to go through all the systems thoroughly, so it will be a reliable daily runner…
      For now, let’s start with compression, spark test, and draining/inspect lower unit lube…Do not remove the little phillips screw on the bottom of the gearcase skeg, or the internal shifting linkage will come apart. Remove the big fill drain screws above (or just below) the AV plate (horizontal fin above prop), and the other one on towards the bottom of the skeg.
      Hopefully, you will see relatively dark gear oil drool out slowly. Milky colored lube, raw water, or nothing at all draining from the gearcase spells trouble…
      Let us know what you find…

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

…..must be a E10…. but is it a E10… that is the question 🙂 do you see a name (mdl) plate somewhere….

by the way as a AOMCI member you could get yourself a free copy of the Jonson maintenance manual (691 pages) to pamper your … E10 for years to come plus any other oldy (early 4os to late 50s) you pick-up 🙂 now that you have the oldy virus.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
        • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
        Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

Percheron

I hear those Percheron’s were real work horses 🙂

Prepare to be boarded!

Jim Potts
          Participant

Hi everyone,

I know I confused everyone with the title “1968 Johnson 15hp electric start motor” on this thread. My motor is a

Johnson 1956 electric start (E10)

:

My questions are:
            1. What is the oil to gas ratio for this year and model
            2. Does anyone have any contacts for someone who could paint the engine shroud in the original colors?

thanks again to everyone for their advice and help.

Jim

Mumbles
            Participant

The factory required oiling for your ’56 Johnson FDE-10 is 24:1. Nothing else. These one year only fifteen horse motors have roller bearings throughout in them except on the small end of the connecting rod and were the basis for the later 18, 20, and 25 horse motors. Gale built 15’s used the same non thermostat equipped powerhead thru ’63.

Here’s a parts manual for you.

1956-Johnson-15HP-FDE10-Parts

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.