Generator

Home Forum Ask A Member Generator

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• wrenchero

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 157
    Topics: 59

Hello.i have a 1963 evinrude 40.i have a generator that looks like the correct one.can I hook up an inexpensive automotive style regulator under the cowl? I’m looking to do this as cheap as possible.if anyone has any ideas can you give me an idea on how to wire it?thanks

mn

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

EDIT:

Ok I cannot find the link, but I believe I got mine from JP Cycle when I restored a motor for someone.

You do not want a mechanical regulator, or regulator-rectifier. You need a 10 amp regulator.

Your best bet is the ACCEL solid state regulator specifically for 1978 to 1981 Sportster or ’77, ’78 XCLR Model.

Use the part number 74504-78 to search for the Harley part, or part number 381-329 for JP Cycle, or part number GHD6101 for Arrowhead, or part number 230-22053 for J & N.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

wrenchero, the reason you can’t use a car regulator is because no car that I’m aware of has only a 10 amp charging system. The regulator has to limit it to that to protect from burning up the armature in the generator

The solid state Harley is a good substitute, according to all I’ve heard. Never have personally tried it.

wrenchero

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the great info. Is the wiring pretty straight forward or anything special to do

mn

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

I haven’t seen a lot of different regulators, but should be 3 leads off of it.

An Armature, Field and Battery.

The Yellow wire from the Generator (the large stud) goes to the Armature on the regulator.

The Blue wire from the Generator (the small stud) goes to the FLD connection on regulator.

The Brown wire from the regulator (Battery) goes to the GEN post on your ammeter (if present), and then on to the BAT connection on your key switch.

The other wire from the Ammeter (if present) goes from BAT post on ammeter, is usually green, and goes to the same large post of the starter solenoid that the incoming POS wire from the battery is connected to.

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

From the ’63 service manual … Mechanical shift does not have electric shift wiring

. . . 😉

wrenchero

US Member - 2 Years

thanks.is this the cheapest alternative.are there any original regulators out there or are they mostly gone

mn

joecb

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 905
    Topics: 92

There is a mechanical 12 V, 10 amp regulator that is available from NAPA … Echlin #VR306. Don’t know the cost. But it looks like it would work on this application.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.