Home Forum Ask A Member Gifted Elgin 7.5

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Samuel Phelps
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Was givin this Elgin on our way out of the Yellow Jacket meet by a nice member from GA Bart .. He asked me if I wanted it along with a nice Elgin tank .Uhm well yeah ok …
      Why not ! Everything looks like its there and not beat up to bad .. What year is this thing ? There was a big rats nest I had to dig out . I freed up the pull start ans squirted some wd/40 in the cylinders .
      Checked the compression and it was 70/75 .. That sounds low idk ..

IMG_0632

IMG_0633

IMG_0634

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

I would say about a 1958 or so made by West Bend.

bobw
        Participant

US Member

Yes, a 1958 model. Here’s an Elgin serial number reference by year.

http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/ob_elgin_2.html

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

I would say you did very well . . .

george-emmanuel
            Participant

US Member

Sam, Glad to know that it was you who got that motor! As we were leaving I saw it and I thought I was the last to pull out Saturday.—Turns out you were there after we left. After seeing your Speeditwin, I can’t wait to see this motor restored.

In my opinion, that Elgin is one of the neatest small classic out there. very unusual design and retro looking. They usually run well as all Elgins did.

George

Samuel Phelps
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the info guys ! Does 70/75 compression seem low for this motor ? I’m sure I’ll have plenty of questions along the way and I will just keep them in this one thread ..
                George , we left the campground on Sunday . I have to say Yellow Jacket is a beautiful place on the Suwannee and you all really made me and my family feel very welcome ..
                And the assistance Mike and Steve gave me was awesome! Already made reservations for Lake Ship !
                I need a fresh water source a little closer to J-ville to get some time in on running the Speeditwin…

The Boat House
                Participant

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.