Home Forum Ask A Member Happy Holidays 6R74C $60

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Had to grab it at $60 CDN nice Evinrude 6hp 1974 ….. Ok it is stuck but my pleasure will be to free it up during the coming snowstorms 🙂

the engine is super clean no oily residue inside anywhere to speak of . Starter gear don’t even look used much . Cowl inside surface is spotless

It looks like it was mostly in storage. If it did not go for a swim the innards are likely fine.

I figured for a price cheaper than of a prop it is a good gamble .

it was listed at $150 for a few weeks so I set the hook at $60 "as a parts motor" and got a nibble 😀

pics to come

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nice score and good luck getting it freed up. As you may guess by my name on the boards (Fisherman6) and my avatar pic, I kinda like these little motors. 😀 Looking forward to the pictures.
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m sure you will free her up fairly easily, can’t wait to see a video of her purrrring…

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

update…… before pics….

well I had a closer look
            the flywheel came off and found nicely cracked coils 😀
            thermostats bolt covers in a virgin state

this thing was in a mecanic ‘s back shop marked… " for pieces" yet none were missing

I have a feeling it was brought in due to faulty ignition (obvious) and remained untouched for years after the owner never followed-up on an expensive ? estimate

whatever happened it is now on the road to recovery…… I may even swap out my nice 1962 turtle for a "newer" 1974 next summer if it purrs ok

Attachments:

dan-in-tn
            Participant

US Member

Happy Holidays to you! That is a good looking turtle, but it has to be at least a 1964? Didn’t start making them till then. Made them till 1973. Not sure what year it is, but looks clean as well. Good luck with the six horse, it’s a good motor too!

Dan in TN

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

MY TURTLE IS A 9622A I GOOFED…. IT IS A 1966 SHORT SHAFT …. I confused that mid 62 sequence of numbers in the mdl#

here is a few pics of the new arrival

Attachments:

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That’s a beautiful little motor! It likely will take very little to free it up and get it going. It should be a very nice runner. I have the 1969 version of this motor and it certainly is. It appears that you are probably right about the history of this one. Very nice find.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

That’s a nice find! I have the ’66 Evinrude version – great runner – now! I got it for $30 and it was stuck. Broken impeller jamming it up at the water pump. It runs sweet now!, and I even used it as a "beginner" motor for my grandson’s minimost hydroplane until he got the hang of handling it – I doubled the oil when it was revving pretty high on the hydro. Mine looks terrible though – it had been painted camo, and then brush-painted a bright blue that is peeling off. It’s super for back-trolling slow for walleyes!
                    Dave

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I fed it some Deep Creep a few times and will let it simmer a few days but… i will pull that l.u. for an impeller replacement
                      i’ll check the oil in the gearcase but visually I see no drips or stains anywhere and it looks tight as a clam

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.