Home Forum Ask A Member Has anyone found an alternative to an original mercury switch???RDE-17 1955 25hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    outboardnut
    Participant

US Member

Has anyone found an alternative to an original mercury switch???
      I know some of you will say just use an original one. Well in my humble opinion. The original way it was designed is less than desirable. Also if one is to be found. I consider it a bit pricey.
      One thought I had was to take broken mercury switch which I own. Use a dremel tool and take off the mercury switch from its bracket and epoxy glue a good mercury switch. Unfortunately the mercury switches on EBay are 5mm long while the original mercury switch is 19 mm long
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-lot-Glass-5mm-Mercury-Switch-Angle-Tilt-Switch-Switches-beautiful/233411125273?hash=item3658632019:g:2TAAAOSwyXhZxPH2
      or this
      https://www.dx.com/p/jtron-sw-520d-lacoste-ball-switch-angle-switch-tilt-switch-vibration-switch-black-10-pcs-2035945.html#.XpzgJpl7nIV
      What do you think????
      Has anyone found an alternative to an original mercury switch???
      If you have one for sale and it will not cost me an arm and leg -please contact me

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by outboardnut. Reason: added something
      outboardnut
      Participant

US Member

I thought I would include this info also
        Its from a Gale service manual

mercury-switch

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I wonder if it would be possible to update the mercury switch system to the later style introduced in the 60s. I’m guessing you would have to change the mag plate, and find a way to mount that mercury switch on top of the block….

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

Seems like someone mentioned once about maybe trying micro switches.
            Not sure how they’d mount or if one was ever tried.

I looked at those on Ebay before, back when I was working on my RDE-17,
            but ended up robbing a mercury switch off another outboard I had.
            Would be nice to know if one of those Ebay switches could be
            mounted some how.

Prepare to be boarded!

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

the old style round furnace wall thermostats had mercury switches inside….

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=old+style+round+furnace+thermostat&docid=608034538328821219&mid=BD8F70BB1D444BFCB5B3BD8F70BB1D444BFCB5B3&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by crosbyman.
              fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just use the micro switch from the later model 40hp models…Again, it is a matter of fabricating something so it can be mounted properly, and using a later model mag plate….Never tried it, but thinking it can be done….
                What does Frank think??

gjonz
                Participant

Call Seaway marine. They had them a few years ago.

Greg

george-emmanuel
                  Participant

US Member

I don’t think a mercury switch can go bad. They can break. The wires are attached via a mini-spotweld and cannot be re-soldered if the wire breaks off. Is that what you are saying is wrong with your switch?

George

dave-bernard
                    Participant

US Member

I have seen mercury switches go bad. mostly the would continue full contact till tapped on.

joecb
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You used to be able to buy mercury switches ( glass vile style) from electronics supple don’t know if that’s still an option. Also , some mid 60’s GM cars used a mercury stitch to activate the under hood service light. The switch was mounted to the underside of the hood…. open the hood , the light comes on.

Joe B

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.