Home Forum Ask A Member Head Bolt Replacement

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by crabb.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    crabb
    Participant

I need to replace the head gasket on my 65 Evinrude 3602E. The gasket itself is pretty affordable, but I’m looking at the head bolts and they’re $10 a pop on Marine Engine. Ebay is not much better. The part number is 0306418, but is there a spec or equivalent part I can use to avoid $60 in head bolts? I am assuming they’re torque to yield so I probably don’t want to reuse.

Thanks,

Dan

bobw
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I bought some of those high dollar head bolts from Marine Engine a few years ago and what they sent me was just a Grade 5 bolt with a yellow zinc coating.   I sent them back and now all I use on any project is Grade 5 zinc plated bolts from the hardware store.    Never had any problem with that approach.   They are not torque to yield bolts like you’d find in the cylinder heads on your truck.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The bolts originally installed back then probably were cadmium plated.  You won’t find cad plated bolts anymore.  In addition, OMC was notorious for using odd length bolts or odd thread lengths.  So, be careful when shopping at the hardware store.

Advice from here is unless you have good reason not to, just reuse the old bolts.  They might be better than what you buy now.  And no, they are not torque yield.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The bolts originally installed back then probably were cadmium plated.  You won’t find cad plated bolts anymore.  In addition, OMC was notorious for using odd length bolts or odd thread lengths.  So, be careful when shopping at the hardware store.

Advice from here is unless you have good reason not to, just reuse the old bolts.  They might be better than what you buy now.  And no, they are not torque yield.

Listen to Frank, no need to replace those head bolts unless obviously damaged.  The head bolt torque is only 60-80inch pounds which won’t stress the bolts at all.

crabb
            Participant

Thanks everyone!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.