Home Forum Ask A Member Help identifying 35hp johnson

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    hondaatc
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Hey fellas I’m looking at this 35hp johnson as a possible power plant for my runabout i was looking to see if u guys knew the year , if it is a long or short shaft , and if anyone knew if they were ok engines or if they had issues thanks guys

James

Screenshot_20211105-213114_Chrome

Screenshot_20211105-213125_Chrome

Screenshot_20211105-213138_Chrome

• This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Mumbles.
      bobw
      Participant

1958 Super Seahorse with a transplanted Evinrude lower unit with the long shaft extension. Guess that’s why they also painted the cowl trim and top blue.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by bobw.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        hondaatc
        Participant

Looks to be a long shaft what goes into converting it back to a short shaft ? Removing the extension and the proper short drive shaft ?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by hondaatc.
          bobw
          Participant

Yes – has the extension piece between the exhaust housing and lower unit.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

hondaatc
            Participant

Just my luck i need a short shaft

bobw
              Participant

If an inspection shows the motor to be in decent condition and the price is right, you could always convert it to a short shaft. You’d have to find the shorter driveshaft, shift rod and water tubes (this motor has 2). Those pieces are out there but could be pricey.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                1958 Johnson QD-19
                1958 Johnson FD-12
                1959 Johnson QD-20

frankr
                Participant

How sad to see one of what I consider to be one of the best and prettiest motors ever built, in such worn and abused condition. But I guess that is what might be expected of a 63 year old motor that has had a good life and served faithfully for so many years. That alone should be a testament to its worthiness. I had one that I bought new, and used it for many hours until salt water took its toll on it. But even then, it looked much better than this one. Do you plan to restore it to its former glory if you get it?

5.-Super-Sea-Horse-35

outbdnut2
                  Participant

To add to what’s already been said, The Super Sea Horse 35 features were same as the Evinrude Lark that year. They differed from the standard 35s (also offered in 1958) in that they had a fuel pump (no pressure tank), they had a thermostat for cooling, and they had the super quiet leg. These features all became standard in 1959 on the 35 and 1960 on all the 40 HP motors. The name Super Sea Horse, replaced the Javelin name. In 1957 and 1958, the Lark and Javelin were different only in outward appearance. The 35s from 1956-1959 are good motors. I have seven of them!

I converted a 40 from long to short shaft. I found a guy who wanted to go from short to long and we traded parts through the mail. You may want to post here and/or on the classified board to see if anyone wants to trade. I believe that parts from 1959 35s and the 1960’s 40 HP’s will also interchange, but you may want to doublecheck the driveshaft splines for compatibility – someone here should know..
                    Dave

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by outbdnut2.
                    hondaatc
                    Participant

Unfortunately i will not be purchasing it i am looking for a short shaft it is located in old Town maine if any is interested

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.