Home Forum Ask A Member Help this newbie get his grandfather’s Neptune running

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ebradbury
    Participant

Hey folks,

I inherited a Neptune 10A2 from my grandfather after he passed and I’m finally making the time to see if I can get it running again. So far I’ve cleaned the carb, confirmed that it has spark, cleaned the gas tank, and serviced the lower unit. However, after inspecting the bronze driveshaft gears in the lower unit, I discovered that the gear on the driveshaft has worn such that it no longer makes good contact with the gear on the propeller. I think that there was dirty grease in there, causing the bronze gear to lose height as it lost material off the bottom from friction. Now it’s so short that it doesn’t properly engage the other gear to drive the prop.

Anyway, I’d hate to give up at this point so I’m putting this message out here to see if anyone knows where I can find a replacement gear or how I might be able to repair this. Perhaps a spacer under the gear to make it sit higher and make good contact with the horizontal gear. Hope that makes sense to those more experienced than I. I’m attaching a photo of the gear and model plate. The second photo shows the wear on the under side of the gear.

Thanks for any help – Elliot from Maine

Top of gear

Bottom of gear showing wear

Model info

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by ebradbury. Reason: Fixing attached photos
      • This topic was modified 4 years ago by Mumbles.
      David Bartlett
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Elliot,

Sorry about your motor issue, but on the bright side those are fairly common motors so parts are out there. I have one also that I got from my grandfather as well.

Where in Maine are you? Have you joined the Pine Tree Boating Club chapter of AOMCI? Lots of great members, one of whom I’m sure could help you out.

David Bartlett
        Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Anonymous

Hello Elliot,
          I also inherited a real nice Neptune 11B2 from my Pop, who inherited it from his father-in-law, my Granddad. A nice 1941 model with the same bevel gear issue. I ran that Neptune in the early 1960’s in the Smith’s Canal near the Stockton CA when I was in Jr. High. My dad was a machinist @ the time and shimmed the gears, but it didn’t last that long. He called a contact he had at Muncie who said there were no parts in 1963. I plan to get a used replacement gear set and see why there is such an angular mismatch causing the stripped problem. I haven’t had any luck in acquisition, yet. Good luck.

David Bartlett
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here’s the rope plate on mine.

David Bartlett
            Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

todd281
            Participant

You could try this guy , I am told he has lots o parts for Mighty Mites s.andres@frontier.com

ebradbury
              Participant

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. Would it be fair to call that part the “bevel gear”? I want to make sure that I’m using the right keyword/parts name as I search for a replacement.

todd281
                Participant

that would be part # OB-100-72 ” drive pinion gear”

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  HERBERT HOUSE
                  Participant

Send me an e-mail address. I have a .pdf of the Muncie Operating and parts manual which is too big to attach here Covers 4 to 11 (’39-’41). dougsandyhouse@gmail.com

joecb
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Elliot, that gear does not look too bad to me, at least the teeth look serviceable. Assuming that you intend no tran- Atlantic voyage with the motor , I think that you will be OK by just adding a shim thrust washer, just thick enough to bring the gear mesh back to a respectable position. The gear is bronze. What was the bearing material that it road against? I would guess also bronze, not a real good design. Make the thrust washer of steel, preferably hardened steel.
                      Clean the gear of grease and send us another photo, just to verify

Joe B

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.