Help with 65′ Evinrude Fisherman 6HP

Home Forum Ask A Member Help with 65′ Evinrude Fisherman 6HP

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 95 total)

• crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3589
    Topics: 326

back to square one… what were your compression numbers

and… you should not let it scream in neutral in the tank… ever

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

t-bell

Replies: 44
    Topics: 1

Haven’t checked but it’s definitely good, i can feel it, and I had it running like a top before about 2 or 3 years ago before it lost spark to the top cylinder. Went and checked for spark and nothing to the top cylinder again! Pulled everything back apart and BOTH the new coils aren’t reading anything from the secondary winding.

t-bell

and I wasn’t aware, I didn’t think it hurt to rev it it up a bit in the tank?

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

It will rev up great running on one cylinder for sure, but have no power once in gear. Are you sure you have spark on both cylinders? If so, how are you checking for spark?

t-bell

Spark was only going to bottom cylinder, nice strong blue spark, nothing to the top at all, pulled top spark plug and put it in bottom boot and it works fine same strong blue spark. No I don’t have an actual spark tester. Checked brand new spark plug wires with meter (again) both have good continuity. Checked primary windings on both new Sierra coils and they’re good. Checked secondary windings in brand new coils and they’re bad from what I can tell using a meter as previously described and shown in the YouTube videos, unless I’m doing something wrong which I’m pretty sure I’m not but hey I’ve been wrong before….

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

Sounds like a bad spark plug. Although that isn’t much of a test. The resistance across the spark plug gap is much higher under compression. You can cut off the side electrode and use that to check for spark OR use a length of clear flexible plastic with an inside diameter the size of the spark plug wire. In one end goes a shear pin that will go into hde wire contact in the spark plug cap. Wrap the free part with tape so it fits the inside of the plastic tube. There should be enough beyond the rubber spark plug cap to secure with a tie wrap. in the other end of the plastic tube insert a length of spark plug wire with an alligator clip soldered on. Adjust the gap to a quarter inch and secure in place with another tie wrap. That will be your test spark plug. . . 😎

t-bell

Bad spark plug??? From all my tests it seems they’re fine and the secondary windings are bad in the coils, unless I’m doing something wrong. Does testing have to be done with an analog meter and not a digital one?? Is there another way to test these coils?

t-bell

Or is that some kind of joke?

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3589
    Topics: 326

measure booth clip to frame ground
    should see 4-7kohms if not 4-7Kohms then re-measure from HV coil pin to frame ground if ok….. bad plug wire
    if not OK measure HV pin to black wire just in case the mag plate is not grounding to engine block properly
    if ok to black wire but not engine frame find out why the mag plate is not grounding properly

you must have 4-7kohms to engine block from the booth clip

measure plug wire end to end should be 0 ohms if you used proper metallic wire (no carbon)

something is strange here… 2 bad coils with same symptoms is very unlikely…. short you meter probes to ensure you read 0 ohms before starting analog or digital are both ok

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

Sorry – some how "Wire" was deleted from the end of my first sentence. . . 😳
    Look for a crack in the insolation of the top plug wire . . . 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.