Home Forum Ask A Member Help with 65′ Evinrude Fisherman 6HP

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m with Jerry on the crazy digital meters….Sometimes, simpler is just better. You really have to know your meter and understand it, or it will confuse for sure. Not afraid to admit: been there done that more than once. I finally found my favorite analog VOM from Stevens (AT101), that I could afford. Perfect for checking these coils, nice low readings below 1 ohm.

t-bell
      Participant
        quote Jerry Ahrens:

I can’t believe you have two bad coils. Are the points and condensers BRP or aftermarket?? I suspect your digital meter is making you chase your tail… it is difficult to get a good connection on the secondary high tension lead (AKA the spring connector inside the spark plug boot. Have you tried an Ohm’s test from the green wire on the primary winding to the secondary post of the coil? Put the coils back in, use the locating ring when installing. Try using a .020 feeler gauge to set each point assembly. Watch the cam as you rotate the crankshaft… when it opens to the widest point, stop and set the points. Reading a feeler gauge correctly comes with experience, but the .020 feeler should slide through the open points with a SLIGHT drag, but not cause the points to open, even another .001 . Take your time. Make sure the screw with the wavy washer underneath it is snugged down after setting the points. Now do the other side. Last, go back and recheck each set again… .020 feeler gauge with a slight drag is correct. If done correctly, that motor will purr like a kitten. The feeler gauge method is a simple time tested method. To check spark, set the flywheel back on and finger tighten the flywheel nut.. no need to torque at this point, just to check for spark. Good luck on your motor! Hang in there.
        Forgot to mention, I didn’t see what you have been using for a spark tester? You need an open air gap tester with a 1/4 inch air gap. Neon light testers are inaccurate and will not work. An old spark plug, with the gap opened up will work in a pinch.

If you go and re-read the previous conversations (Albeit it’s more of a short story on how NOT to be AN IDIOT like me LOL) you would in fact find that is exactly what’s been happening!!! Using digital meter on the wrong ohm setting 😳 !!! I very Much appreciate all the advise!! I wasn’t going to give up that easily! After going at it again last night and getting everything back together AGAIN and retiming it AGAIN with FR’s timing tool, ITS FINALLY GOT SPARK TO BOTH PLUGS!!! Sounds and runs good!!!!! Don’t have a spark tester like that but I’m going to get one today to test it anywayfor the 1/4 inch gap Thanks again for all your words of wisdom and guidance!

t-bell
        Participant
          quote crosbyman:

i agree but he already purchased his FR timing tool from RW …may as well use it….for awarm feeling if anything

“timing” was a bit scary for me when I got a free QD 15 years ago from a work buddy … and I used the .020 feeler gauge , moved to the VOM method after watching a utbe and now i’ll be using the “VOM/ timing tool” .. I am sure T.Bell will work it out like we all did.

Meter wise… I prefer quick reacting needles myself and was raised on the universal Telco Ks meter (solid as a rock (with a nice case)

https://picclick.ca/Bell-Systems-KS-145 … 74750.html

Words really can’t express my gratitude for you hanging in there with me this whole time, through what seems more like a short story at this point on how not be a dumbass (red foreman voice) like me!! After going at it again last night and getting everything back together AGAIN and retiming it AGAIN with FR’s timing tool, ITS FINALLY GOT SPARK TO BOTH PLUGS!!! Your damn right I’m goin to use that tool, I didn’t pay for it to not use it haha and you couldn’t be more right lol that’s how we learn!! And I was feeling all warm and fuzzy after seeing spark to both plugs! Either one way or the other whether you use a timing tool or a feeler it’s whatever works best for the beholder concept is the same just takes a little time to get the hang of!

t-bell
          Participant
            quote fleetwin:

I’m with Jerry on the crazy digital meters….Sometimes, simpler is just better. You really have to know your meter and understand it, or it will confuse for sure. Not afraid to admit: been there done that more than once. I finally found my favorite analog VOM from Stevens (AT101), that I could afford. Perfect for checking these coils, nice low readings below 1 ohm.

Refer to my reply to Jerry just above this. You really hit the nail on the head tho, not knowing your meter or just in general a lack of how to use multimeters can really cause A LOT of headaches hahaha

amuller
            Participant

If the wick is missing I just grease the cam and don’t worry about it. In the last years of points in cars they didn’t usually use an oiler wick.

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

T.Bell

one more thing to do…..

btw here s what came up on another thread…. 😮

http://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/Coils.htm

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

t-bell
                Participant
                  quote crosbyman:

T.Bell

one more thing to do…..

btw here s what came up on another thread…. 😮

http://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/Coils.htm

Ohh man if only I’d come across that particular thread a lot sooner it could have saved me quite the headache hahaha.

Funny thing how you mention one more thing….. Seeing as how now I have good spark and it’s running really well on the back of the boat but now it wants to die out all of a sudden, it’ll be running fine and then just cut off immediately? Starts right back up first pull tho. It must be some type of fuel issue right?

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

if you still have good sparks ❓ …. yes

pump the fuel pump just before it dies….if it wakes up ….. fuel delivery issue

#1… vent is open ??

could be just the filter screen in the fuel pump, cracked cover

float OK ?? adjusted…?? HS fuel jet dirty ?

fuel hoses deteriorated

tank fuel pick-up dirty

carb inlet needle sticky

when does it die ?? at low speeds or high speeds did you clean the LS drip chamber ( 3 small hoes) on top of th carb…under the dime size plug

etc….

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

don’t be ashamed… 😳 tell us what you found wrong this time 🙂

t-bell
                      Participant

Hey all been to busy with work the past few days to fiddle with anything.

Mainly it seems to die out at high speed, but I’ve also had it happen at low speed once or twice and on top of that I was able to save it 2 times, where I was able to back off the throttle and keep the engine running. But for the most part it just dies out all of a sudden, and I really mean all of a sudden it’ll just stop dead but it fires right back up….tried priming the bulb as I was driving didn’t seem to make any difference

All brand new fuel lines and new primer bulb plus I threw a fuel filter on after the primer bulb. Cleaned the tank really well and pumped fresh fuel thru the line to clean out the pickup in the tank before attaching it to the motor.

The vent being what? The circular choke and throttle parts? I’d like to check out this fuel filter screen. Floats brand new from 2 or 3 years ago when I rebuilt the carb last. Never adjusted it tho I’ll look at that as well. it’s suppose to be parallel to the flange yes?

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 95 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.