Home Forum Ask A Member Help with identifying an old outboard

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    billgran
    Participant

Attached is a poor quality image of an old motor. Can anyone help me identify it?

The rounded gas tank is reminiscent of a Koban but the finned muffler end caps and horizontal sparkplug placement are not familiar to me.

Thank you in advance

unidentified-old-outboard

• This topic was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by billgran.
      Randy in Tampa
      Participant

Early speeditwin, or fastwin , it looks like a U model like mine except the spar plugs are on the sides of the cylinder and not on the top, maybe early to mid 30s speeditwin 🤔

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

Randy in Tampa
        Participant

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1boNCD6fOjHJDrayH6hDCC5giJMA7TzMY/view?usp=drivesdk sorry I couldn’t get it small enough to download exactly but here’s a picture of mine

billgran
          Participant

Thank you for responding, Randy. Could you give me permission to view the picture? Google requires permission.

Randy in Tampa
            Participant

Sorry Bill haven’t got the technology down yet you should be able to view it now

billgran
              Participant

Thank you. The only thing is the muffler caps, spark plug location, and fuel tank shape do not match.

Randy in Tampa
                Participant

Bill the later speeditwin moved the spark plugs to the outside of the cylinder and the tank changed , The tank is reminiscent of the 6039 model speeditwin that started in 1939 there was a big transition between 31 and 39, I’m sure there’s another club member that knows more about the speeditwins than I do but I would lay odds that it’s a mid 30s speeditwin

billgran
                  Participant

I’ve looked at most of the Evinrude brochures from 1927 through 1940 and the motor, though it looks similar, is not the same as any of the engines pictured, including the SpeediTwin.

I did the same for most Johnson brochures from 1928 thru 1939 and Elto for 1935

Unless the motor is pictured in a brochure that I did not see, my thoughts are that it may be a different make.

The Boat House
                    Participant

36-6018

billgran
                      Participant

Thank you, Tubs,

The powerhead itself is very close. What model is it?

It is hard for me to distinguish the exact shape of the gas tank due to the poor quality image. With my old eyes it looks rounded, but could it also be rectangular shaped like your image of a similar motor?

Could it be possible also that it is a “Frankenstein” motor, all pieces and parts put together?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by billgran.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.