Home Forum Ask A Member Here they come…

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

The older Yamaha three cylinder two stroke 70 horse motors were a spitting image of the OMC 70 horse motors with only minor differences. Ot maybe they were improvements.

geary
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Maybe I’m a bit older than some of you but I remember back in the 50’s after the war that Japan did pretty much the same thing the Chinese are doing now ! Nothing new about reverse engineering it’s been used over and over ! Remember the small metal toys from those times that you could see the writing inside the toy from our metal soup cans ? And look where Japan is now ! I don’t condone it just pointing it out ! Amen to American engineering !

seakaye12
        Participant

US Member

History Repeats Itself

Mocba-Water

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

I worked for many years designing electronic medical products. Back in the 1970s/1980s, to get Japan’s equivalent of our FDA to approve a relatively simple product for sale in Japan took a year or more. The word on the streets was that year gave them time to copy it!
            Dave

bruceter
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Back in 1978 I was looking at buying a new 9.8 hp outboard
              I checked out the big 4 at that time ( Johnson /Evinrude ,Mercury & Chrysler but I was intrigued by the new kid on the block the 4 stroke Honda who at that time only had a 7.5 & 9.8 hp
              While I was in the marine show room looking at the 3 lines that this marina was handling (Mercury ,Chrysler &Honda a Japanese Honda company rep was in the showroom shooting loads of pictures on his film camera of the open hooded Mercurys &Chryslers
              A couple of years later Honda started making larger outboards
              I did buy the 1978 Honda 9.8 and it was nothing but trouble ( fouling the top spark plug ) after they had it apart numerous times and the 1year warranty was near up and the motor was still fouling the plug I told the dealer either give me my money back ,another motor or I would see them in court , it took them 6 weeks only after I went to the BBB with my complaint to get action
              They gave me another motor and that one never missed a beat
              Yes back them the Japanese were doing what the Chinese are doing today
              Just my .02 worth

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.