Home Forum Ask A Member Home race conversion?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    archangel
    Participant

Can anyone tell me anything about this from the photos? Is this just a PO-15 with a homemade racing conversion to the carb and exhaust?

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

I would say you are right. The racing model would have a slimmer lower unit that would not have the under water exhaust. It would also have internal changes which are not as easy to detect.

r-c
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Probably a C Service conversion. They would have to use the stock lower unit in that class, unlike Garry’s picture. The change over to a Vacturi AO-500 carb was normal. The "stacks" are to keep the heat of the exhaust away from the tank and had no performance advantage as true tuned exhaust is not legal in that class. Besides they would have be a lot longer to be tuned exhaust. Then there is always the lake racer who thinks they know more than a real racer. In racing engines, everybody had a an idea, good bad or indifferent.

archangel
          Participant

Great info. Thanks!

chris-p
            Participant

I bought that motor the other day. I love them Cottage Racers!

chris-p
              Participant

Got it home today, a co worker picked it up for me. Seized solid. Not sure this one will run any time soon! Ill try though.

Mumbles
                Participant
                  quote Chris_P:

Seized solid.

That sucks! Another project for a long Northern winter?

chris-p
                  Participant

Yeah, seems like everytime I get someone to pick up a motor for me its seized, lol.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.