Honda Powered Lightwin

Home Forum Ask A Member Honda Powered Lightwin

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 5299
    Topics: 285

A boat and motor package is being sold locally and I had to look twice at the main mover hanging on the transom.

A real air cooled ‘lawnmower on a stick’!

Honda-Lightwin

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1655
    Topics: 51

I’m trying to understand what’s going on at the hybrid joint. There seems to be some kind of covering over the area of connection between the mower engine and the Lightwin base gasket area. It actually looks kind of professional but I can’t tell what the guy used to do it. He could have at least used a whole lower unit, though….Also, did he actually install what looks like a Japanese outboard’s stop switch on the engine cowl or is that standard lawnmower?

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by billw.

seakaye12

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 732
    Topics: 99

I wonder if there are other images shot from other angles?

It does look way better than the typical lawnmower on a stick.

Even the lower unit seems to look a bit different. Might just be the angle the picture was shot from

Not sure what’s going on with the speed control. Looks like the cable from the Honda loops past the tiller control. And the engine side of the loop appears to be a thicker cable???

billw

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve seen some Lightwin lower units that pretty much break off that way….

frankr

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 5981
    Topics: 49

I’ve seen some Lightwin lower units that pretty much break off that way….

Yeah, the extension piece on the exhaust snout often gets broken off.

labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 607

Doesn’t everyone have one of those old mixed up thingies? Here is my Water Boy, I have not gotten it to run so good yet. I am ready to tear it apart and scrap it. It kept me busy a couple winters ago. I made it from a 14hp Evinrude leg. Don’t laugh to hard!

dale

if your gonna do it wrong! do it right!

IMG_0001-001

Water Boy!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by labrador-guy.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by labrador-guy.

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 5333
    Topics: 851

I have my grandfather’s old push mower. It hasn’t run in over
    40 years…….. maybe I better get busy and make on of those!

Prepare to be boarded!

JOHN HOLBIK

Replies: 150
    Topics: 2

That old Lawn Boy is only around 1.75hp it still is pretty cool looking.

reivertom

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 725
    Topics: 38

As many of those motors there are around, I would never make myself listen to the noise of a lawn mower while going fishing.

billw

US Member - 2 Years

On the other hand, one of the good things about a Lawnboy lawn mower is that it smells both like fresh cut grass AND being out in your boat….So a Lawnboy outboard is smell-redundant! A few thoughts about the one pictured in this thread: Like has been said, the horse power is low. If you’re trying to drive a 14 hp prop, that may be problem #1. Problem #2 is more subtle….Remember that on a lawn mower, the blade acts as part of the over-all flywheel effect. I will never forget as a kid, trying to run a vertical shaft, Briggs and Stratton, without a blade. It would barely even start or run, until I put the blade back on. Then it was fine.

The Boat House

Replies: 3672
    Topics: 93

As many of those motors there are around, I would never make myself listen to the noise of a lawn mower while going fishing.

Amen
    Tubs

labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 607

On the other hand, one of the good things about a Lawnboy lawn mower is that it smells both like fresh cut grass AND being out in your boat….So a Lawnboy outboard is smell-redundant! A few thoughts about the one pictured in this thread: Like has been said, the horse power is low. If you’re trying to drive a 14 hp prop, that may be problem #1. Problem #2 is more subtle….Remember that on a lawn mower, the blade acts as part of the over-all flywheel effect. I will never forget as a kid, trying to run a vertical shaft, Briggs and Stratton, without a blade. It would barely even start or run, until I put the blade back on. Then it was fine.

Bill I have a smaller prop on this contraption, also I thought the old motor put out around four horse power. Whatever it barely runs, I eliminated the governor and put a 5.5 hp carburetor on it and it ran worse! I am thinking about starting over doing something with a little more zip!

thanks for your comments
    dale

seakaye12

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 732
    Topics: 99

Some vertical shaft HONDA engines come fitted with heavier flywheels that would enable them to run without a blade. The one pictured doesn’t really look like one of them though. Maybe he swapped the aluminum flywheel with a heavier one?

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2467
    Topics: 256

Years ago…. I remember visiting a museum in Birmingham England where James Watt rigged up the fist steam engine….. ( way after seeing his kettle boil off it’s lid)

It was the size of a large living room and put out about 1.5hp… much less than a lawnboy today ! I walked by it but did snif the smell of grass … blades came later 🙂

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=6hyjgza7&id=7538944CA5AD1DEEBB6CF2BABDB78843152D6456&thid=OIP.6hyjgza7UBxk_2G8FKoYEQHaD4&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fi2-prod.birminghampost.co.uk%2fincoming%2farticle8758810.ece%2fALTERNATES%2fs1200%2fJS58208833.jpg&cdnurl=https%3a%2f%2fth.bing.com%2fth%2fid%2fR.ea1ca38336bb501c64ff61bc14aa1811%3frik%3dVmQtFUOIt7268g%26pid%3dImgRaw%26r%3d0&exph=630&expw=1200&q=james+watt+steam+engine+birmingham+museum&simid=608026640375286851&FORM=IRPRST&ck=2E50FEEC4762CAEE60C78FE071DBE964&selectedIndex=20&qpvt=james+watt+steam+engine+birmingham+museum&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=james+watt+steam+engine+birmingham+museum&qpvt=james+watt+steam+engine+birmingham+museum&tsc=ImageHoverTitle&form=IGRE&first=1

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by crosbyman.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.