Home Forum Ask A Member Horsepower degradation

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    skanders01
    Participant

I tried a couple of searches but could not find the magic search words. I am trying to decide between two motors. One is a ’79 35 HP Evie and the other a veritable newborn…a ’92 30 HP Evie. Both gave average compression for their age. Not that 5 HP will make that much difference, but it made me think about my selection process.

The question I have is a basic one. is there truly still a 5 hp difference between these motors (other motors) how does HP degrade with age? Has any quantitate research ever been done?

Kyle Anderson
      Trempeleau, WI
      skanders@triwest.net
      920-764-0501

frankr
      Participant

US Member

If you are trying to decide which motor to purchase, get the ’92. The ’79 35hp motors had cooling problems. That far outweighs worrying over that little 5hp. Just my 2c

destroyer85golf
        Participant

I would think that you are probably right on about the 5 hp difference not bein noticible. But what about the weight difference? I wouldn’t think there would be that much degradation. It’s just my opinion, but you can draw a parallel between compression and horsepower, if the 79 has good compression, I doubt it has lost much power.

kerry
          Participant

US Member

The ’79 is crankshaft rated, the ’92 is propshaft rated. I’d call it even.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

chris-p
            Participant

As stated, you would NOT be able to notice any difference. Buy the 92.

reivertom
              Participant

US Member
                quote Kerry:

The ’79 is crankshaft rated, the ’92 is propshaft rated. I’d call it even.

THIS^^^^^^^

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

The ’79 will not run well at slow speeds just a bit above idle. All motors have a rough throttle spot where the carb is going from lo to Hi jet, but on the ’79, this rough running area is a wide throttle range – irritating for loafing along on a pontoon or any other boat at a few MPH.
                  Dave

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.